Students showcase comedic talents at RUPA's open-mic night

openmicnightkevinlee

On Wednesday, Feb. 3, the Rutgers University Programming Association hosted an open-mic comedy night in the Douglass Campus Center. Approximately 25 students gathered to watch their peers present their first time attempts at stand-up, and to watch the more seasoned comedians show off their abilities.

The evening consisted of eight student performers, and Haolun Xu, a School of the Arts and Sciences sophomore, served as the evening’s host. The crowd had no reason for any applause out of pity, considering the evening’s comedians were adequately prepared for their routines.

Cleverly, the comedians managed to tie together each other’s routines by having some consistent themes throughout the evening which were being single, having active sex lives and the prevalence of premature ejaculation. It would be an understatement to describe the content of the participants routines as adult humor.

Melanie Avila, a School of the Arts and Sciences first-year student, had one of the more notable acts. Her material consisted of some dark humor, with topics like her hatred of old people, self-pity and talking about the depressing nature of speaking to adults.

“I wanted to try to bring up things in my comedy that people think, but don’t always voice,” Avila said. “I was more comfortable in my first routine than I thought I would be.”

The length of each comedy act was no longer than 10 minutes, and the entire showing was no longer than 90 minutes. The atmosphere for performing was small and comfortable, and the comedians were encouraging to each other before and after each performance.

Nick Demarest