Rutgers announces new sexual misconduct policy

Just under six months after a draft sexual misconduct policy was released, University President Robert L. Barchi announced the new Student Policy Prohibiting Sexual Harassment, Sexual Violence, Relationship Violence, Stalking and Related Misconduct on Thursday afternoon.

Members of every major Rutgers campus created the policy, Barchi said in an email.

“Rutgers recognizes its responsibility to increase awareness of sexual misconduct, prevent its occurrence, support victims, deal fairly and firmly with offenders, and diligently investigate reports of misconduct,” he said in the email.

The new policy is Title IX compliant, he said. It also followed regulations listed in the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2013, which forces institutions earning federal aid to investigate sexual assault or harassment and ensure the safety of victims.

“Sexual harassment, sexual violence, sexual exploitation, gender-based harassment, stalking and relationship violence (including dating and domestic violence) are all forms of misconduct that are prohibited by this policy and will not be tolerated by the University,” he said.

While this policy applies to students, it does not apply to people employed by the University, he said. There will be a policy announced to encompass their needs in the future.

“The Policy also contains a comprehensive definition of 'consent,' establishes a uniform investigation and disciplinary process, describes the range of protective measures the University may offer during and after the investigation, and lists on-campus and off-campus resources for reporting complaints, advocacy and crisis counseling.”

The complete policy can be read online.

___

Nikhilesh De is a School of Engineering junior with no declared major. He is the news editor for The Daily Targum. Follow him on Twitter @nikhileshde for more.

Nikhilesh De