Rutgers Business School starts new master's fashion program

frontfashiondt
Photo by Yangeng Lin |

The Rutgers Business School offers a concentration and a minor for students interested in the fashion industry, but starting next fall they will also offer a graduate degree.

Rutgers Business School will bridge the gap between the creative and technical fields this fall.

The "Business of Fashion" concentration is offered to undergraduates on the Rutgers—Newark campus, and there is a "Business of Fashion" minor offered to students who are not in Rutgers Business School. In addition to the undergraduate programs, a Master of Science in Business of Fashion will also be launching in the fall.

Founding Director Tavy Ronen said the program is close to her heart. Having grown up in New York City and around the fashion industry, she said she aims to make the fashion program one of Rutgers Business School’s outstanding features.

“Our program is also for arts and sciences students, especially the ones who want to solidify their understanding of business,” said Ronen, an associate professor in the Department of Finance and Economics. “There are so many people these days who are interested in both fields.”

The master's program will consist of 10 courses, or 30 credits total, with course offerings ranging from "The Branding of Fashion" to "Digital Marketing." They will all take place in Jersey City due to its proximity to the New York City area.

New York City’s fashion industry employs more than 175,000 people, so Newark students have an advantage, Ronen said.

Urvi Tiwari, a Rutgers Business School graduate who is interested in fashion, could not take the major while she was an undergraduate. She stayed an extra semester to participate in the concentration offered last year.

“I realized that this was something I really wanted to do,” Tiwari said. “It was worth it to me to stay an extra semester, even a year.”

Rutgers Business School’s main goal for the program is to gain recognition for the bridging of creative and business education, Ronen said.

“I don’t believe there are any other programs that are similar offered in this area,” she said. “I believe we have something really special to offer here.”

____

Susmita Paruchuri is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in mathematics and journalism and media studies. She is the design editor for The Daily Targum. Follow her on Twitter @susmitapar for more.

Susmita Paruchuri