Rutgers president sees $97,000 bonus for 2014-2015 fiscal year

barchiedwinnov

University President Robert L. Barchi will receive $97,000 and a 2 percent pay raise, which will retroactively begin on July 1, 2015.

Nearly four years into his term, University President Robert L. Barchi is receiving a $97,000 bonus from the Rutgers University Board of Governors for his work.

He will also see a 2 percent raise in his annual pay, which was to start on July 1, 2015. He will now make $676,260 per year, according to nj.com. His next bonus would enable him to earn more than $100,000 after his next performance review.

Though the bonus was approved three months after firing former Rutgers football head coach Kyle Flood and former Athletic Director Julie Hermann, these actions were not considered in his performance review, which only looked at his work before July 2015.

Many of the scandals involving the Rutgers football team this past year took place afterward, including the arrests of seven players for various crimes.

Barchi was hired in 2012, and oversaw Rutgers’ entrance into the Big Ten Athletic Conference, as well as the release of the University's Physical Master Plan.

While he donated his first bonus of $90,000 to a student scholarship fund, he did not do so with his second bonus of $95,000.

Barchi has not indicated that he would donate this new amount, according to nj.com.

____

Nikhilesh De is a School of Engineering junior. He is the news editor of The Daily Targum. Follow him on Twitter @nikhileshde for more.

Nikhilesh De