Rutgers releases annual crime and safety report

hate_crimes
Photo by Susmita Paruchuri |

While the number of hate crimes went down between 2012 and 2014, there was an increase from 2013, according to the 2016 edition of "Safety Matters."

In the most recent “Safety Matters” report released by the Rutgers University Police Department in late January, 17 hate crimes were reported between 2012 and 2014.

Nine hate crimes were reported in 2012, two in 2013 and six in 2014.

The University’s Department of Public Safety produces the report each year in line with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act.

A hate crime is defined as an act that victimizes a person based on an actual or perceived belief about the person’s race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity or disability, according to the report.

Six of the 17 incidents were reported to be racially motivated. Of the six, two hate crimes involved physical assault inside a residence hall and one on public property.

Two people also reported being harassed in residence halls, according to the report.

One victim, who had their property damaged, suspected racial bias as a motivator, according to the report.

According to FBI hate crime data, black individuals experience the most hate crime.

For every 1 million black citizens, more than 50 were the victims of racially motivated hate crimes in 2012, according to the data.

According to the same numbers, nine Latino citizens were victims, and less than five white citizens were victims.

The second-highest number of hate groups in the United States occurred in 2012, with 2011 edging it out by a hair, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Since 2012, that number declined. In 2014, there was a reported 784 hate groups, according to the data, compared to 1,018 in 2011.

According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, there is a range of attributable causes to the decline, including a healing economy and stricter regulation from law enforcement.

Katie Park