Rutgers student finds mouse in vending machine

On Feb. 2, School of Arts and Sciences first-year Lamia Kandil and her friend found a mouse living inside the vending machine at Hickman Hall on Douglass campus.

Kandil said she was standing at the cluster of vending machines by the coffee machine inside the building. During this time, she and her friends saw a small animal run through the device. 

They believe this animal was a mouse. 

“The mouse ran across one of the top rows and went in the side, and we didn’t see it again,” Kandil said.

About 10 percent of occupied housing units in the northern New Jersey area have shown evidence of mice in the last 12 months, according to a Bloomberg report from last year

More mice and other rodents have been spotted in colder regions than warmer ones, according to the report. 

A typical mouse can breed relatively quickly, and newborns quickly mature, according to Rutgers University Libraries.

Many people are scared of mice because of the potential for disease. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there are a variety of pathogens carried by these animals. 

Hantavirus is one example of a disease carried by mice in the New Jersey area, according to the CDC.

It is not a common one, according to the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services. Though up to 50 cases have been seen in the United States, there has never been a case in the state.

Other diseases are likewise not commonly spread from mice to humans, according to the state chapter of the National Wildlife Control Operators Association. Sometimes diseases can be transmitted through intermediary animals, like cats.

Mice have also been known to damage food products and packages, according to the association. 

They are also dangerous to books, according to Rutgers Libraries. They tend to destroy tomes in order to gather materials for nests.

-----

Bushra Hasan is a School of Arts and Sciences first-year student majoring in cell biology and neuroscience. She is a staff writer for The Daily Targum. Follow her on Twitter @Hasanabanana for more.

Bushra Hasan