Senior leads Rutgers with strong start to final season

p11barnes_dt_315

Senior Halley Barnes said she is going to miss spending time with her teammates off of the field the most when her career on the Banks comes to a conclusion.

In the midst of her final year with the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team, senior attacker Halley Barnes continues to lead with the same consistency she has shown since day one.

The Scarlet Knights’ (1-2) captain currently leads the team with seven goals and 9 points going into their game against Delaware on Saturday.

Head coach Laura Brand-Sias has always seen Barnes as someone who is not only consistent as lacrosse player, but as a person as well.

“She’s consistently who she says she is going to be,” Brand-Sias said of Barnes. “She’s not someone who talks a big game and doesn’t back it up. She really is true to herself and the things that she speaks are what she truly believes in, and that’s what makes her such a natural leader.”

Brand-Sias also said that her teammates really respect Barnes, due to her dedication and wearing her heart on her sleeve when it comes to everything the team does. 

Speaking for the entire coaching staff, Brand-Sias said their team captain is someone they can always rely on to do the things she needs to do in preparation for what the team needs to be ready for.

Senior defender and fellow captain Addington Elliot has also seen the consistency Barnes brings every day, and said she has been a leader on the offensive end since their freshman year.

“Halley, as a player, is an example of her life in general,” Elliot said. “Always consistent with what she is doing and working really hard and being a leader on and off the field.”

The Rumson, New Jersey, native, said her and Barnes have built a great chemistry despite playing on opposite ends of the field. The two have a relationship where they can take the perspective of the things they see in each others' game and implement it into their own side of the field.

Elliot does not have a specific memory in which her and Barnes’ have shared during time with the team, but she said her teammate has always been clutch when the Knights have struggled.

“(She is) someone our team can rely on to get the ball into the back of the net when we need it to happen, and she can be the spark for the attack,” Elliot said. “She’s been a consistent player to always get the job done.”

Barnes said she sees her final year as a harsh reality, knowing that this season might be the last time she will ever play lacrosse.

“I’ve been playing sports since I was in kindergarten, so I don’t really know my life without sports,” Barnes said. “The transition is gonna be a bit weird. I’m definitely excited, but I’m kind of nervous to not be playing lacrosse anymore.”

Barnes is making the most of the time she has left to play the game she loves for Rutgers.

She continues to put up solid numbers, and in her career with the Knights, she has accumulated 58 goals and 76 points. In her final year, the Knights' captain looks to become the 20th player in Rutgers history to total 100 points in their career.

Her game-highs in both goals and points both came against Monmouth in back-to-back years when she scored five goals in last year’s game against the Hawks and posted 6 points in this year’s matchup.

The Garnett Valley, Pennsylvania, native said her favorite game memory did not come from a win with personal or team achievements, but in a thrilling 10-8 loss against then-No. 5 Syracuse in her freshman year in which she contributed one goal.

“It was just such an exhilarating game, I don’t think I’ve ever experienced so much emotion during one game,” Barnes said. “Just the way we came together as a team, I don’t think I will ever forget that.”

As the Knights look to create more memories in the time she has left with them, Barnes said nothing has been greater than the entire experience.

“A lot of my favorite memories are memories that I’ve had with my teammates off the field,” Barnes said. “They’ve just become sisters to me.”

For updates on the Rutgers women's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Thomas Crincoli