WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | Feb. 12, 2016

laurels_and_darts

KNIGHTS UNITE

Students understand danger can lurk in the streets of New Brunswick. While this city isn't known to be particularly crime-ridden, unexpected incidents can occur at any moment. The Knight's Watch is a campaign aimed at making students more aware of the resources that they have to stay safe. We laurel the Knight's Watch campaign for adding to the already-existing safety initiatives on campus.

DON'T HATE, APPRECIATE

In the most recent "Safety Matters" report by the Rutgers University Police Department for the 2015-2016 academic year, there were 17 hate crimes reported between 2012 and 2014. According to the report, a hate crime is an act that victimizes a person based on a perceived belief about the person's race, gender, religion, ethnicity or disability. But in this day and age, and at one of the world's most diverse universities, incidents like these shouldn't be occurring at all. We dart the persisting presence of hate crimes on campus.

PLAZA PALOOZA

For centuries, Rutgers has produced exceptional intellectuals, lawmakers, artists and more. Paul Robeson is one of the University's most distinguished alumni for his accomplishments like being part of the Scarlet Knights football team, being inducted to Phi Beta Kappa, graduating as the valedictorian and continuing to excel post-graduation. We laurel the development of the new Paul Robeson Plaza that pays homage to the third African-American ever enrolled in Rutgers University.

UBER UNSAFE

Uber is popular with college students because of its easy-to-use interface and unparalleled convenience, but unfortunately it's not as regulated as taxis. The government of San Francisco rounded up Uber drivers and discovered sex offenders, identity thieves, burglars, kidnappers and murderers. Simple background checks and safety standards are applied to taxis, but not for Uber drivers. The lack of background checks also allowed preventable criminal activity to happen. We dart Uber for lobbying to resist safety legislations that could apply to them in the state of New Jersey.

TOUR DE USA

For such a prosperous country, the United States still has people in abject poverty. A group of about 30 University students are spending an entire summer biking, volunteering, advocating, recuperating and repeating the process all over again. We laurel the students from the Bike and Build organization for dedicating their summer biking across the country and helping build homes for the homeless along the way.

ICY ISLAMOPHOBIA

The Rutgers University Muslim Student Association held a forum to discuss their experiences and explore ways to combat Islamophobia. People of the Islamic faith have experienced situations — from uncomfortable to perilous — because of distorted media representations and a pure lack of knowledge about their faith. We dart Islamophobia, especially when it stems from little attempt to understand one of the most practiced religions in the world.

___