WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | Feb. 5, 2016

laurels_and_darts

GOTTAHAVA WAWA

Students are looking forward to the completion of The Yard @ College Avenue, but some argue it would only be truly complete if it had a Wawa. The go-to convenience store commonly found in South Jersey has quality food and good coffee at affordable prices that Rutgers students demand. We laurel the student petition for encouraging the establishment of a store that could add to the commercial status of New Brunswick.

STOP THE SWEATSHOPS

Rutgers United Students Against Sweatshops, a student-led activism group, marched to expand the amount of Rutgers apparel produced from ethical factories. The group asked University President Robert L. Barchi to place Nike on notice under the University's licensing agreement because of its potentially inhumane treatment of workers. Although the group's work is commendable, is it ever possible to completely divest from sweatshop factories? We dart the ubiquity of sweatshop factories and society's entrenched dependency on this terrible system.

PROTECT WITH POLICY

The Title IX Committees of Rutgers—New Brunswick, Rutgers—Newark and Rutgers—Camden developed the new "Student Policy Prohibiting Sexual Harassment, Sexual Violence, Relationship Violence, Stalking and Related Misconduct," which is a policy that prohibits a broad range of behaviors focused on sex and/or gender. We laurel the University for their ongoing efforts and commitment to student safety.

GARDEN STATE OF MIND

The Eagleton Center for Public Interest Polling discovered that most residents believe the Garden State's quality of life has declined or stayed the same within the last 10 years and only 33 percent believe it will improve. This is the most negative period in New Jersey since October 2009, said Ashley Koning, associate director of the Eagleton Center for Public Interest Polling. We dart the probable factors causing this generally negative sentiment: Government inefficiency despite high taxes, inimical environment for retirement and slow growth capacity for businesses.

AXING ADDICTION

People from all walks of life have been affected by drug abuse, including students here at the University. Healing addiction requires a strong support system from family, friends and even the community. We laurel Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. for proposing a bill that would provide $500 million annually to fund treatment programs for New Jersey residents suffering from substance abuse.

SPECIAL SURPRISE INSIDE

Students have been complaining about the shocking items they've been discovering in their food. One person allegedly found a screw in her burrito bought from the Douglass Student Center, and another person found a mouse in a vending machine at Hickman Hall on Douglass campus. These are two food-related tragedies occurred in one week. We dart the weakly regulated cafes and food dispensers at the University.

___