Not fond of your major? Don’t be afraid to change it

ibmajorchangepichloe

The struggle is real when contemplating whether to change your major or not. It truly is a popular question many Rutgers students face. Many college students face this dilemma at some point or another in their university career, but why do people sometimes view this as such a bad thing?

College is a time for you to discover who you are and to become the person you have always wanted to be, so what’s with the stigma against changing your major? Many people like to joke that when you enter college, you will change your major faster than you can finish that first round of beer pong. 

Changing your major is a natural part of the college process, because you are taking steps to becoming a productive and happily functioning member of society. Doing something you love is truly a necessity in that search. Tiarra Brown, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, talked to us a bit about why she chose to change her major from science to a history and art history double major. 

“I realized I was living someone else’s life and I decided the one I wanted was something better,” Brown said.

For Brown, it was a natural progression and she wanted to change her major for a better life. For these reasons, changing your major can be an extremely important part of your Rutgers experience. A lot of people may be scared about changing their major, due to the fear that when you change your major, you will add extra time to your undergraduate career in order to meet credit requirements.

While this fear is warranted, it doesn’t have to be something that holds you back. You may find that pursuing something you are better at or happier doing is worth the time. It’s all about time management, and it is doable after seeing many Rutgers students complete it. 

Another fear and huge reason why many never change their major is the fear of displeasing their parents with their new choice. Many students decide to work in the same field as their parents, thinking that if their parents love it, then so will they. Parents also add pressure to study something considered practical for getting a job. Whether it is vanity or misguided hope driving their desire to be something they may not be meant to be, it can be hard to get out of this rut that seems to be created by the very people that should be protecting them.

Victoria Sharp, a School of Environmental and Biological Sciences sophomore, discussed why she decided to pursue a different career path and major. 

“I entered Rutgers thinking I wanted to do what my mom does, and I realized that was a huge mistake.” Sharp said.

Sharp is now pursuing a career in biotechnology over nursing, and is much happier that she decided to go forward with the change. While Sharp did have some resistance from her mother, she is now happy that her daughter is doing something that makes her happy.

While the stigma against changing your major may be vast, the positives outweigh the negatives if it results in a better quality of life. The few people I spoke to are living a much more satisfying life due to the change they decided to pursue. Changing your major may be daunting, due to the fear of too many uncompleted credits or the thought of adding an extra year to your college career. When it comes to being happy in your life, an extra year has nothing on that.

Those I spoke with about changing their major are doing so without adding an extra year to their university career. It is doable, so don’t let the fear and the rumors keep you from something that may be the best decision you'll make all of your four years. Do what makes you happy and screw what others think or say, because there is only one person you need to listen to and impress, and that is you.

Laura Dengrove