Shop till you drop at Health Way Natural Market

ibhealth_dimitri

Everyone knows by now that the processed snacks sold at the Student Activity Center and other Rutgers' convenience stores can taste pretty ratchet after awhile. Too much of anything is obviously not good, but college kids seem not to absorb that little piece of information very well. Well, now there is no excuse, since I have now discovered a cute, little health food store on George Street located in downtown New Brunswick.

It is called Health Way Natural Market, and is right next door to Filippo’s Famous Pizza. Just hop on the EE to explore this hidden, health food haven. Just make sure you don’t make a pizza pit stop first.

Whenever I walk into this small market, I am always greeted with a big hello. After I received my warm welcome, I dived into the never-ending selection of clean eats.

I first made my way towards the seaweed snacks. Screw potato chips, seaweed snacks have my heart. For a decent size bag, it is under $2, which is not too shabby if you ask me. Seaweed snacks taste just like sushi, minus the fish. So, if you have a burning passion for sushi like me, put down the Cool Ranch Doritos and chow down on some crunchy seaweed. I recommend the wasabi flavor if you are into the spicy life.

Once I’m done admiring the mirage of seaweed, I find myself in front of the colossal nut butter wall. I don’t know how I get there sometimes, because I think the wall knows I have a peanut butter addiction and just pulls me in. I found white-chocolate flavored peanut butter there and now my life has never been the same. Thanks to this market I now have to eat it everyday, but I’m not complaining. Thank god I have self-control, or else I would be spending all my Abraham Lincolns and buying a jar everyday.

Next stop is the refrigerator section. If seaweed snacks are not enough to fulfill your sushi desires, the shop also supplies already-made packaged sushi. I bought a salmon roll here once after a long day of boring classes and it managed to lift my spirits.

Salmon actually has a lot of omega-3 fatty acids, which I have heard is good for your health. I am no doctor, but why not give it a try and see how you feel after. If nothing happens, at least you were able to have a foodgasm.

There is no need to wait 40 minutes for the sushi deliveryman if you just pick it up from here. You are being healthy and practicing time management at the same time — bingo.

Now it’s time to check out the international food section. Geez, food shopping is exhausting. I bought rice noodles from here before, which tasted surprisingly good. It is a better alternative to regular pasta noodles, so that's a plus. It is a health food store, after all.

At this point, I have no hands and stuff is dropping on the floor. I definitely looked like a nimrod, but it’s okay because I got my health on. That was my cue that it was time to checkout.

As I spread out all my healthy goodies on the counter, my eyes wandered to the granola bars at the front counter. Damn, I thought I was done. I picked up about five because why not stock up for the week? The cashier probably thinks I am a compulsive food shopper.

I would say that was a pretty successful food-shopping trip. I ended up buying that godly peanut butter, seaweed snacks, granola bars and a bunch of "organic" microwavable foods that they also have. Since that felt like a workout, I ordered one of their smoothies. Yes, they also make smoothies. Dang, this place has it all.

Nicolette Accardi