Reports: Rutgers to hire Steve Pikiell as 19th head men's basketball coach

online_hobbs_edwin

Rutgers athletic director Pat Hobbs

Rutgers will hire Stony Brook head coach Steve Pikiell as its next head men's basketball coach, according to NJ Advance Media's Steve Politi

Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports also reported the news minutes later.

The two reports broke on Saturday morning, ending a nine-day search for Eddie Jordan's replacement. 

As it awaits formal approval from the Board of Governors, a decision that can come as early as Monday, the hire is not yet official. 

Gannett New Jersey's Jerry Carino reported hours later on Saturday afternoon, citing "a source with knowledge of Pikiell's situation," that Pikiell will earn an annual salary of $1.6 million over the span of a five-year contract.

A source close to the program with knowledge of the situation told The Daily Targum last Thursday that Jordan had been dismissed from his post after three years in Piscataway, confirming Rothstein's initial breaking report before the University published a news release two hours later citing Athletic Director Patrick Hobbs.

Pikiell, 48, went 192-156 overall in 11 seasons at Stony Brook. With 22 or more wins in seven of the Seawolves' past eight seasons, he built the mid-major program from the ground up after it moved to Division I in 1999. 

He notably played and coached for legendary UConn head coach Jim Calhoun when he was a point guard and two-year captain for the Huskies from 1987 to 1991. He then spent the next season in 1991-92 as an assistant.

Stony Brook, which earned three National Invitation Tournament bids, had its first NCAA Tournament appearance cut short on Thursday when the 13-seed Seawolves lost, 85-57, to 4-seed Kentucky in Round of 64 at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa.

Stay tuned to The Daily Targum for more on this story as it develops. For updates on the Rutgers men's basketball team, follow @GarrettStepien and @TargumSports on Twitter.

Garrett Stepien