Rutgers go through déjá vu against No. 16 Penn as first half woes continue

p10_barnes_dimitrifeb2016

Senior attacker Halley Barnes extended her goal scoring streak to five games in the Knights 15-8 loss to No. 16 Penn Wednesday.

Getting the season back on track is going to have to wait yet again, as the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team was handed its fourth straight loss by No. 16 Penn (2-1) on Wednesday.

The Scarlet Knights (1-4) lost 15-8 against the Quakers in a game where they continued the trend from previous games of falling into a large deficit in the first half once again.

Just like in some of the Knights' other losses, they were able to hold their own against Penn in the first 10 minutes of the game, only to see the flood gates come crashing down moments later.

Senior attacker Iris Williamson, who led the Quakers over the Knights last season with five goals, opened up the scoring in the game, setting off Penn’s seven goal run.

Williamson went on to score another in the first half as well as five of her teammates, including Penn’s leading point scorer, senior attacker Nina Corcoran.

Rutgers was able to avoid the shutout late in the first half, when sophomore midfielder Paige Paratore scored her second career goal.

Things did not get any better for the Knights in the second half as more goals from the Quakers kept pouring in.

Williamson and teammate Lely DeSimone both capped off their hat tricks early on in the second period.

For the Knights, freshman goalkeeper Devon Kearns, who was making her first career start, was finally pulled and replaced by sophomore goalkeeper Bianca Dente after Penn’s eleventh goal.

Following Kearn’s replacement, Rutgers was able to spark a little offense of their own midway through the second half. 

Freshman attacker Emily Santana picked up her fourth of the season, while junior midfielder Macy Scott and senior attacker Halley Barnes all scored in a four-minute span to help chop away at the Quakers' lead.

Any momentum for the Knights in that span was shut down shortly after by Penn when Catherine Dickinson stopped Rutgers' scoring run, netting the Quakers' twelfth of the game.

Rutgers finished the game trading goals back-and-forth with Penn, unable to make up for the hole it fell into during the first half, leading to the final score of 15-8.

Barnes was able to extend her goal streak to five games in her journey to 100 career points. She currently has 79 in her career on the Banks.

Juniors midfielder Kristina Dunphey and attacker Amanda Turturro each had a goal, as well as senior attacker Kristin Kocher.

Santana scored two in the game as well as her fellow freshman attacker Abigail Lee Brooks, who scored her first career goal as a Knight.

For Penn, Williamson had another big game against Rutgers, finishing with four goals, while Corcoran had two goals and six assists in the contest.

The Knights do not have a lot of time to rest, as the team returns home to face Connecticut on Saturday.

For updates on the Rutgers women's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Thomas Crincoli