April 22, 2018 | ° F

Offensive explosion springs Rutgers back into win column

p15barnes_dimitri_216

Senior attacker Hally Barnes scored a team-high 4 goals and helped set up a fifth in the Knights 18-13 road win over Hofstra on Friday.

Following an early season six-game losing streak, the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team seem to have found its groove, winning 2 of its last 3 games.

The Scarlet Knights (3-7) defeated Hofstra (1-6), 18-13, in New York on Friday in a game where Rutgers’ barrage of offense came from nine different scorers.

Senior attacker Halley Barnes said the Knights’ win over the Pride was one of her favorite games she has ever been part of because of the way her team’s offense came together as a group.

“We had so many people doing so many things, we had so many assisted goals, we had so many multiple point scorers, we had so many people scoring points in general,” Barnes said. “It was just an awesome feeling to be part of an offense that clicked.”

Photo:

Senior forward Kim Kolodny put together a 6-point effort on Saturday, notching 3 goals and assisting on three others.

Rutgers' performance not only consisted of nine different scorers, but five of them scored multiple goals. It was the second time in Rutgers’ last three games in which it was able to achieve this feat, after a 19-7 win over Lafayette over spring break.

Barnes led the charge with a team-high 4 goals on the day, in which the Garnett Valley, Pennsylvania, native was happy to see her team perform in conjunction with her personal play.

“As the captain of the offensive side, I need to make sure I’m doing my part and hopefully the rest of my team will follow,” Barnes said. “That happened (Friday), and it was a great feeling.”

Rutgers' other two consistent offensive threats this season had a productive day as well. 

Senior attacker Kim Kolodny scored 3 goals, while junior midfielder Kristina Dunphey scored twice, padding her team-leading 24 goals on the year.

It was a big game for some of the complementary components to the Knights’ offense as well, seeing two more multi-goal efforts from senior attacker Kristin Kocher and junior midfielder Macy Scott.

Scott, who finished the game with 3 goals and assisted the game winner, saw her team’s joint effort as a huge accomplishment in a game where the Toms River, New Jersey, native feels she found her groove.

“Personally, I feel like I really found my niche last night,” Scott said. “I really found my groove, found my confidence, knew exactly what the game plan was, knew exactly what I needed to do to work their defense and work with our attack. I just found my opportunities and it came with a win.”

Four other players from Rutgers contributed to its team's scoring, including junior attacker Amanda Turturro, who scored a goal and posted her single game-high in assists with four. Turturro leads the Knights with 12 assists on the season.

Sophomore attacker Joanna Reilly, whose goal ended as the game winner against the Pride, also passed her personal best in assists with two in the game.

Sophomore attacker Kerri Puckhaber and sophomore midfielder Paige Paratore each had 1 goal in the game as well.

The Knights have a chance to go on their first winning streak of the season when they face off against Penn State next Saturday. This will be Rutgers' first splash into its games against Big Ten opponents.

According to Scott, the Knights win over Hofstra was not only a confidence builder for herself, but also showed signs of an upward trend for her team. The Toms River South product noted that the early season struggles was due to her team’s mindset, as her team was scared to get caught in the same hole as last year.

Rutgers will take a win against Hofstra that featured extraordinary team cohesion and use it as a building block moving forward.

“I think now we finally realized that it is going to take a lot of hard work, to finally get a win,” Scott said. “Last night we were all on the same page, and we were really one unit.”

For updates on the Rutgers women's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Thomas Crincoli