Temple blitzes Rutgers for 16 goals, Knights drop sixth straight game

p13punphey_dimitri_216

Junior midfielder Kristina Dunphey scored four goals in the Knights’ loss to Temple Wednesday. She has scored at least four goals in a game twice this season.

Following a loss to UConn where the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team was exceptional at stopping its opponents’ clear attempts, its success in that same area took a complete 180-degree turn in Philadelphia on Wednesday afternoon.

The Scarlet Knights (1-6) saw their losing streak hit six games in a 9-16 loss to Temple (6-1) in a game where the Owls were able to overcome any aggressive push from the Knights.

Temple was successful on all 10 of its clear attempts.

Senior attacker Addington Elliot said the Knights lack of day-to-day consistency kept her team from repeating the things they’ve shown success with.

Photo: The Daily Targum

Senior defender Addington Elliot said Rutgers has a lot to prove after only boasting a 1-6 record through almost half the season.

“I think we have to be demanding more, from ourselves and each other every single day,” Elliot said. “We can’t expect to just bring that energy and that skill one day and expect it to just come the next day. We have to demand it from ourselves every single day.”

Head coach Laura Brand-Sias said she felt her team was really hesitant and scared at the beginning of the game, leading to an unfavorable day for the Knights.

“We were just mentally taken out of the game from the start,” Brand-Sais said. “We did start to rally back at one point but at that point we were in a bit of a hole.”

The first half was a back and forth battle in the beginning as the Knights and Owls traded goals with each other, in what looked to set up a close game the rest of the way. Temple had different plans though, as it went on a three-goal run soon after to get some breathing room early in the half.

The Owls were led by senior attacker Lauren Schwaab, who scored her third hat trick in her last four games in the first half. Schwaab finished the game leading Temple with four goals and 6 total points.

Rutgers began to make its push back when the Knights scored two goals before the final 10 minutes of the first half. Junior midfielder Chrissy Schweiber picked up her first of the season while junior midfielder Kristina Dunphey scored her second of the season in that span.

Down by only a goal, the Knights were once again put at a distance when Temple countered with two more goals of their own.

Rutgers’ senior attacker Kim Kolodny, who scored five goals against UConn on Saturday, extended her scoring prowess by netting two for the Knights while trying to creep up on the Owls' lead in the first half.

Temple continued to put pressure on Rutgers in the final minutes of the first half and was able to finish the period with an 8-5 lead.

The Knights have shown their capability of being able to close in on their opponents leads this season and especially in the second half. The Owls made sure Rutgers would have a large mountain to climb, breaking out in the second half with three quick goals to pad their first-half lead.

Following Temple’s eleventh goal, Rutgers replaced freshman goalkeeper Devon Kearns with sophomore Bianca Dente.

Dunphey was able to finish her hat trick to put an end to the Owls second half opening run. 

The Hillsborough, New Jersey, native would add one more before the game final buzzer, giving her 17 total scores on the season.

Rutgers continued to try and fight its way back, but Temple’s ability to answer with their own goals was too much for the Knights.

Rutgers will continue to try and stay motivated and search for answers when it returns home to take on Lafayette next Tuesday.

“Based on our record and the scores of the game’s we’ve been playing, we don’t look like a good team.” Elliot said. “The thoughts (are) in our head that we know just know were a talented team and we have a lot to prove.”

For updates on the Rutgers women's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Thomas Crincoli