Verizon grants $50,000 to Rutgers' Center on Violence Against Women and Children

hopeline
Photo by Susmita Paruchuri |

Verizon’s HopeLine donates used cell phones to victims of domestic violence, and has provided more than $24 million over 15 years to survivors and support groups.

Most students know Verizon as a global cellphone provider, but the company is forging a presence at Rutgers by standing up against domestic violence. 

HopeLine, a Verizon organization, collects no-longer-used cellphones, batteries, chargers and accessories, and then donates these devices to local domestic violence shelters across the country.

There are several drop-off locations at Rutgers, including the College Avenue, Busch, Douglass and Livingston student centers, along with any administrative building on campus.

On Wednesday morning, HopeLine presented a $50,000 check to the Center on Violence Against Women and Children (VAWC) at the New Jersey Department of Children and Families Professional Center.

The grant will help develop an online-training platform addressing the issues of domestic violence and sexual assault, according to a press release. The platform, inspired by the New Jersey Department of Children and Families Program, will be available for child welfare employees across the county.

“Thanks to Verizon, we are able to put select courses online to be utilized by child welfare employees across the country,” said Judy Postmus, founder and director of the Center on Violence Against Women and Children, in a press release.

The center at Rutgers will continue to support child welfare employees and ensure that employees can effectively respond to women and children affected by abuse and trauma, Postmus said in the release.

At Wednesday’s event, Rutgers staff, Verizon Wireless representatives, past training alumni and current students showcased how online-training courses have impacted the community, according to the press release. Speakers included Cathryn Potter, dean of the School of Social Work at Rutgers, and Allison Blake, commissioner of the New Jersey Department of Children and Families.

Since its launch in 2001, HopeLine has collected 11.4. million phones nationwide and provided more than $29 million in cash grants to domestic violence organizations just like VAWC here at Rutgers. 

Support is especially needed in higher education, where 1 in 3 college women and 1 in 10 college men may be victims of sexual dating violence.

Verizon Wireless is striving to be a partner in the Rutgers community, said Andrew Testa, public relations manager of the Northeast Market of Verizon Wireless, in the press release.

“(Verizon Wireless is) thrilled to be able to support a university center and program like the Center on Violence Against Women and Children at the School of Social Work at Rutgers,” Testa said.

____

Avalon Zoppo is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in political science. She is the managing editor of The Daily Targum. Find her on Twitter @avalonzoppo.

Avalon Zoppo