WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | March 4, 2016

laurels_and_darts

SEND 'EM PACKING

University students took action to address pressing problems related to destitution. Project Night Night does not sit idle when there are more than 2.5 million homeless children in the United States, and the Pakistani Student Association did not ignore the fact that there are more than 1 million food insecure New Jerseyans. We laurel these two organizations for making care packages for homeless children and packaging meals for local residents who are food insecure.

MEDIA'S (IM)PARTIAL MOURNING

Three East-African men were shot multiple times "execution style" in a home in Fort-Wayne, Indiana. This issue was not publicized, and vigils across the country were held for the three men, including one at Rutgers by the joint effort of the Muslim Public Relations Council and the University's Black Lives Matter chapter, for the purpose of mourning the deaths of those who have been largely ignored. We dart the media for failing to pay attention, as well as failing to providing sympathy, for the victims' lives and their families.

VISIONARY ENGINEERS

Navigating campus or generally navigating your surroundings can sometimes be a difficult feat, but it is especially so when you're visually impaired. Howon Lee, assistant professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Aerospace Engineering, and Jason Kim, a School of Engineering senior, created a braille map of the Joseph Kohn Training Center, a center that offers blind and visually impaired individuals skills that enable independence. We laurel the two for their initiative to assist people with disabilities.

OVERPRICED EDITIONS

If wallets could cry, they'd cry in college. Having to buy the $200 26th edition of a textbook as opposed to $50 25th edition can really injure a person's bank account — taking into consideration five classes each semester, eight semesters and four years, the cost really adds up. Some organizations are calling attention to high textbook prices, such as Rutgers' chapter of NJPIRG that's trying to bring open-source textbooks and rental programs. We dart the high-priced textbooks that add to the burden of high-priced tuition.

NUCLEAR ACHIEVEMENT

Roger Clark, a Rutgers School of Law professor of more than 40 years, worked on a lawsuit to fight against nuclear testing. For a period of 12 years, 60 nuclear weapons have been tested on the Marshall Islands, and Clark played a prominent role in determining international human rights law and advocating against it. We laurel his nomination for the 2016 Nobel Peace Prize by the International Peace Bureau.

UNRELIABLE EVALUATIONS

While teaching evaluations offer an assessment of a professor's expertise, they don't encompass all that a professor has done to contribute in his or her field. The fact that the Promotion Review Committee denied Department of Communication Professor Jennifer Warren tenure on the basis of teaching evaluations doesn't hold well. We dart the use of teaching evaluations as the deciding factor for acquiring tenure, since each student is different and every student has a different experience in a given class.

___

The Daily Targum’s editorials represent the views of the majority of the 148th editorial board. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.