Enjoy some Spanish food made with love

Over at Barca City Café and Bar, the good times truly keep on going and the tapas keep on flowing. At what I believe to be one of the best restaurants in the New Brunswick area, they serve a wide variety of cold beer for the thirsty consumer. Let's not forget about the amazing choices of tapas so you can eat your hearts out.

The atmosphere of the mini-restaurant adds to the resplendent feel once you walk through the door, as the scenery of this small little wonder fills you with glee. Once you walk through the door, you will immediately notice that this isn’t some large and obscene club that makes you feel as if you've stepped into a trippy wonderland. The place is filled with small tables that give it a feel of uniqueness compared to the other eateries in town. While they do have larger tables to fit a bigger party if needed, I always prefer the small tables with cushion-like seats that make me feel as if I have traveled the world.

So to speak, this place can easily, and will easily, become my safe haven in a world full of finals and papers that appear to overpower me as the due dates become nearer and nearer. The lighting and airy feel of the room gives you a sense of ease, welcoming you to sample all of the delectable treats they have waiting for you on the menu. 

The music played in the background is a stark contrast and a breath of fresh air compared to other bars and eateries that contain all of the latest and not-so-greatest hits of today’s generation. They play a mix of indie hits, both new and old. The plethora of older songs gives you a feel of being in an old time club back in the 1940’s. When I heard them playing "Feeling Good" by Nina Simone, I nearly leapt for joy as I realized this wasn’t going to be a usual place that would just immediately play the Michael Buble cover.

The friendly service continued to add to my highly recommended experience as the staff was speedy and welcoming, greeting my guest and I frequently with questions and answers to all of our eating and food needs. It made me feel as if I were truly welcomed there and not just another person throwing money at the food industry. This is actually a rare occurrence in the town of New Brunswick, since the services at other places tend to be rushed and a bit less friendly. 

It feels as if this lifestyle tries to follow you everywhere you go, like a shadow, but at Barca City Café it feels as if it is immediately shut out of this little piece of heaven on earth. The dishes that I always seem to fall on as my go-to favorites are the chicken empanada dish and the "tostones" tapas.

The chicken empanada dish came in a cute little basket and was blissfully hot and spicy as you bit into it. It was served with three mayo-like dipping sauces that made the dish extra delectable. The flavors bursted into my mouth — as the savory sauce is cooked into a hard shell mixed in with the chicken to add the perfect crunch. As a woman who isn't a fan of spice, this dish has just the right amount of kick.

If chicken isn't your forte, then you could also opt for beef or a vegetarian option. A basket of empanadas can be a tad pricey, but it is totally worth it in the end. You have an option of getting three for $5.99, five for $7.99 or seven for $9.99.

The "tostones" dish is served with an exquisite lime juice that truly brings out all of the succulent flavors in this little number. The dish consists of fried green plantains and mojito sauce all for $4.49. It kind of tastes like a "healthier" version of french fries. Squeeze some lime juice on top and you will be reminded of summer as soon as it hits your taste buds.

The meals are quickly served before your stomach even has a chance to rumble, and before you order more food you will regret later. These little dishes leave you satisfied with a smile plastered on your face. This is definitely a place you should try before your Rutgers career is over. This is the place to go to if you are in the mood for a relaxing night out with a few close friends.