Children dance with students at Rutgers Dance Marathon

backbottomright

Dance Marathon was not just for Rutgers students — adolescents also attended, and even hit the stage.

Dance Marathon was not just for Rutgers students — adolescents also attended, and even hit the stage.

Dhani Skole, 11, said she was excited to be there. She has attended previous Rutgers dance marathons, and said they are "just awesome" to be a part of. 

“This is a great place to be," Skole said. "I really love to dance."

It is inspiring that dancers and supporters can come together and actually make a difference, Skole said. He hopes the cancer patients that Dance Marathon aids will get well and remain optimistic.

“I would tell them to keep being strong and positive," Skole said. "I feel like they should be a part of something like this. Like for people who are doing it for them. I think that they should just have fun and just not ignore but try to put aside their worries."

Skole said she is grateful for those who take the time out of their lives to come to dance, as well as those who offer donations to aid those in need.

“To the people that come out every year, thank you," he said. "I bet that it makes the people who are affected by cancer really happy to know that someone who can fight for them instead of them being in this alone." 

Ethan Wolkofsky, 13, also attended to support the cause.

“I’ve been coming here for three to four years. My dad is on the Board of Directors for the Embrace Kids Foundation,” Wolkofsky said. “I like Dance Marathons because they are fun and bring people together."

The decision to help out those in need is a simple choice, Wolkofsky said. 

“It makes you feel good when you help people," he said. "It’s important because they really need our help."

Wolkofsky said he hopes that people know there is a light at the end of the tunnel and that situations will get better, no matter how bad they seem.

“And thank you so much to the dancers who are helping by fundraising,” Wolkofsky said.

This article is part of our 2016 Rutgers University Dance Marathon coverage. Click here for a full list of stories.

Nicole Osztrogonacz is a School of Arts and Sciences first-year student majoring in English. She is a contributing writer for The Daily Targum. Find her on Twitter @nikki_osz for more.

Nicole Osztrogonacz