Family hour introduces students to children at Rutgers Dance Marathon

backtopright

Family Hour is a time when students can interact with the kids they sponsored, said Labiba Salim, a Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy junior. Every week counting down to Dance Marathon, a member of the organization sponsoring a child develops a personal connection with the patient.

Amidst the sound of music and booming bass, children and their families took center stage to meet the exhausted students dancing for their health.

Family Hour is a time when students can interact with the kids they sponsored, said Labiba Salim, a Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy junior. Every week counting down to Dance Marathon, a member of the organization sponsoring a child develops a personal connection with the patient.

Dharmesh Patel, a School of Arts and Sciences first-year student, said he felt satisfaction from being able to give back to the community and the kids.

Patel added that the impact of Dance Marathon stems from its widespread reach at the University. Since so many people recognize it as a good cause, there is a greater number of students that participate.

“Dance Marathon has made its mark in the community here at Rutgers,” he said.

Patel was president of Key Club at his former high school, an organization dedicated to personalizing treatment for all patients. Members volunteered at the Robert Wood Johnson Hospital and took care of children among other activities.

Marcia and Joseph Wares, parents of Kiana Wares, one of the sponsored children, said they are grateful to that students take time out of their day to bring joy to the children. The Wares attended Dance Marathon three years ago and were amazed that the students gave so much to the cause.

“It’s a terrific opportunity to see who they’re dancing for,” Joseph Wares said.

This article is part of our 2016 Rutgers University Dance Marathon coverage. Click here for a full list of stories.

Bushra Hasan is a School of Arts and Sciences first-year student majoring in cell biology and neuroscience. She is a staff writer for The Daily Targum. Follow her on Twitter @Hasanabanana for more.

Bushra Hasan