WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | April 29, 2016

laurels_and_darts

WHAT'S ALL THE BUZZ ABOUT?

In order for us to have plants and food to eat, we need pollinators to help us grow the plethora of plant-based food — bees are these busy pollinators. Sadly, 30 to 40 percent of bees are dying across the country every year and if those bees die off then humanity's food options will be at a precarious state. We laurel the campaign by New Jersey Public Interest Group (NJPIRG) that asks the Environmental Protection Agency to stop the use of a type of harmful pesticide that has been linked to the decline of bees.

HOW CAN WE 'HOUSE THE HUB'

A group of students wanted to create a "House the Hub" charity concert that would raise funds to support the homeless population in New Brunswick, but it was quickly shut down by Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) officers because of the alleged presence and use of alcohol. While there wasn't substantial evidence that alcohol was present or related to the event, we are saddened that the concert couldn't continue, and we dart the lack of communication between the student organizers and people who managed the University venue. 

EARTH DAY PARTY

This is the week of Earth Day, and it was celebrated by student organizations who held various events across campus. Each day, different environmental clubs held events throughout the week, such as a film screening of "Antarctic Edge: 70 Degrees South" or an Earth Day march. Although the Earth should be recognized and celebrated everyday, it isn't and instead, the Earth is abused and degraded. We laurel the work of Rutgers' organizations that made helped bring environmental issues to the fore. 

BLOODSUCKERS ARE AMONG US

New Jersey is actually a highly infested state when it comes to bed bugs. According to a study conducted by Dr. Changlu Wang of the Department of Entomology at Rutgers, bed bug infestations in the Garden State are on rise in recent years and the cities near New York City are prime spots for bed bugs to thrive. We hope no one brings those bed bugs to New Brunswick. While being infected with bed bugs isn't always one's fault, we dart people who don't take proper precautions and allow the bugs to spread.

VOLUNTEERING IS MUSIC TO THE EARS

Learning how to play an instrument is fun and creatively stimulating, but not all children are able to take classes or have the opportunity. Mason Gross students came together with students from New Brunswick in collaborative and musical harmony, when students part of American String Teachers Association volunteered with the local high school. We laurel the Mason Gross students for helping young ones hone their artistic and musical abilities.

DANGER DANGER!

Advocacy organizations like New Labor and the Work Environment Council marched in New Brunswick to commemorate Workers' Memorial Day and the deaths and injuries of workers throughout New Jersey, because workplace safety violations aren't uncommon and they've led to disabilities and deaths. We dart the employers who violate regulations and have the blatant disregard for the lives of their employees.