Every college major is demanding in its own way

k54v9hraig7aab9xky7k

When it comes to picking your major in college, many take this as a difficult task. Some stay undecided for a while when trying to choose the career path they want, while some also switch more than a switch-blade. Whatever path and major you choose one thing will be guaranteed— you are going to work. Don't expect to study an hour before the test and have that work out. 

Finals are going to hit you, but not before the midterm blues get a crack at you. All nighters will be a commodity in your life and coffee will be your best friend.

College life is going to truly hit you when you finally choose that fated major that will impact the rest of your years at Rutgers. With all this work and with the occasional Netflix binge session for "Daredevil" or "The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt," is there really an easy route to it all?

Some students joke that the opposite of their major is always the easy route to go. No matter what major you choose, there isn’t really an easy way to earn that beloved degree. When looking at majors that have to deal with science and math versus arts and humanities, people always compare and contrast the workload that each major includes.

Kait Mercedes, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, is currently a film student and talked a bit about this comparison and contrast. 

“My focus, being in cinema studies and English, I’ve noticed a vastly different approach to the workload than non-art degrees — when taking pre-requisites, for my degree, like math or science, it requires a lot of external studying and repetition, versus English classes where I would read a novel and dissect its passages and it would be easier doing so after I have outlined the focus of the story," Mercedes said. 

Exams including equations that don’t even involve numbers don't seem like a walk in the park, nor does a huge project or 20-page paper.

Some students rise above the “who has it better” debate that goes around campus. The project and paper fanatics or the test takers?

Victoria Sharp, a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore, talks about the stress involved with being a biotechnology major. 

“I feel as if the stress never stops within the science major world, and mental health really does take a backseat with all of this work — you really are forced to take a set of classes that aren’t really fun and barely have time for a relaxing course that you can just simply enjoy," Sharp said. "However, I don’t feel I have it tougher or easier than other majors, I believe both major groups have a lot of work, so it’s truly hard to compare because they are all just so different.”

This type of thinking warms my heart, because whispers and words around campus always make me feel that other majors really do feel as if others have it better than some.

This will never be true because no matter what type of work is handed out to us, we are all still trying our hardest to just keep our heads above water and be the best version of ourselves.

Work is work — there is no way around that.

Laura Dengrove