'Our Rutgers' ticket wins RUSA elections

Evan Covello, left, Justin Schulberg, center, and Shannon Chang, right, have won the 2016 elections for the Rutgers University Student Assembly. They will be sworn in on April 14 for the 2016-2017 academic year. – Photo by Photo by Nikita Biryukov | The Daily Targum

The Our Rutgers ticket will be taking the top three Rutgers University Student Assembly positions after beating out Scarlet Knights for You in a down-to-the-wire election. The victorious candidates were announced at the assembly’s weekly meeting Thursday.

Justin Schulberg, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, has been elected for the post of RUSA president.

“It was an incredible victory. I’m incredibly proud of my ticket, Our Rutgers, for pulling through, but also proud of the other ticket,” Schulberg said. “The campaign this year was revolutionary. We had an insane turnout between both tickets … I’m excited to lead RUSA into a new future and actually make this our Rutgers once and for all.”

This year’s RUSA election ran from Friday, April 1, through Tuesday, April 5, and received the largest voter turnout. This year, 14.42 percent of eligible students voted in the assembly’s election, up 3.27 percentage points from the turnout record of 11.15 percent in 2014.

The post of vice president went to Evan Covello, an Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy sophomore.

“I'm just excited to get to work,” he said. “This campaign experience has truly been just so exciting. And going forward, I'm looking forward to working with the new body. We have a lot of great, dedicated people and I'm just looking forward to working with all of them.”

Shannon Chang, a Rutgers Business School sophomore, took the position of treasurer.

“This was an incredible campaign and an incredible race. I'm so excited to be working with allocations and the rest of RUSA next year to really bring even more positive changes about,” she said. “RUSA's headed in a really good direction.”

The newly-elected body will be sworn in at next week’s meeting, on April 14.

Nikita Biryukov is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in journalism and media studies. He is an associate news editor for The Daily Targum. Follow him on Twitter @nikitabiryukov_ for more.