Rutgers Paintball Team ranks top 10 in national championships

unipaintcourtesy

Courtesy of Brian Thompson | The Rutgers University Paintball Team beat 35 competitors at the National Collegiate Paintball League’s national championships, earning a 10th place ranking before being knocked out by the University of North Texas.

The Rutgers University Paintball Team came in 10th place in the 2016 National Collegiate Paintball League National Championships.

The atmosphere of the competition is extremely fast-paced and has high levels of adrenaline, said Brian Thompson, a School of Arts and Sciences junior and the club president.

Forty-five teams competed in Austin-Tindall Regional Park in Kissimmee, Florida, from April 15 to 17 hoping to become the 2016 National Champions, he said.

Teams had to win 3-1 or 4-0 in order to move on to the next round on Sunday because there were so many teams, Thompson said.

"We went 4-0 in our preliminary bracket,” Thompson said. We got a by into the (final 16 teams), in which we lost 2-1 to the University of North Texas.”

The competition was a race to get a flag that was placed in the center of a field. The first team to reach two points wins, Thompson said.

The objective was to hit all five opposing players with a paintball, then hang the flag on their end of the field within five minutes, he said.

To prepare for the competition the team practiced three to four times a month, which included scrimmages against other college teams, as well as drills which focuses on the individual footwork, gun skills and more,“ he said.

“After the competition we were all a little bit upset,because we knew we have what it takes to make it all the way, but that's paintball,” he said. “A few unlucky kills and it's all over for you.”

Moving forward, the team is focused on practicing and progressing together, as well as wining the 2017 National competition.

“This upcoming season we have five northeast events,” Thompson said. “I think we have a good shot at taking first at all of them.”

Noa Halff is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in journalism and media studies. She is an associate news editor for The Daily Targum.

Noa Halff