Rutgers University Dance Marathon 'Scarlet Session' ends after successful programming

dmwrap

In place of Club DM, which was moved to the fall semester, the Scarlet Session saw a one-hour rave during the course of the night.

Three concerts, two theme hours and one dance battle into the 18th annual Rutgers University Dance Marathon, students were going strong. By hour nine, participants had completed learning the line dance and taken part in every major event leading up to the end of session one.

By 6 a.m. they had successfully gone a full 12 hours without sitting down once.

The Scarlet Session opened its doors at 4:30 p.m. on Friday, April 1, letting in several hundred Rutgers students to raise money for the Embrace Kids Foundation, an organization dedicated to assisting families of children diagnosed with various forms of cancer and blood disorders.

Namit Satara, a Rutgers Business School sophomore, said he enjoyed his first RUDM.

“It’s my first time (and) it’s so cool how they’ve been able to gather people and keep morale up,” he said. “It’s losing a bit of steam (now) because it’s (4:00 a.m.) but otherwise there’s been a lot of energy. I think it’s especially nice that greek life uses it as a competition.”

The event ran smoothly through the night, said Tatiana Blackman, director of communications for RUDM. From her observations, the participants enjoyed themselves, with no major issues through the night.

“Coming up to it I was slightly nervous because trying something new is always nerve-wracking, but I’m happy with how things are going so far,” the School of Arts and Sciences senior said.

Gabrielle Rosario, assistant director of public relations for RUDM, said the efficiency of the event leading up to the wee hours of the morning were important, as normally students should be tired. Instead, the dancers appeared happy.

Though the first session ended early Saturday morning, there was no word on how much had been raised so far. The total amount raised would be shared at the end of the second session.

Blackman said she is “excited” for the final score given how many more students were able to attend from the previous year.

“This year we have 1,326 participants, and last year we had 804. You see those numbers, you get excited,” she said. “There’s so many more people than last year.”

Even though she was tired, Rosario, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, said she was going to soak in as much of RUDM as possible.

“It’s nice to push past that feeling of being tired because it does go by so quickly and once it’s done it’s over,” she said.

Doors opened for the Silver Session at 7:30 a.m. on April 2, which is scheduled to end at 9:30 p.m.

This article is part of our 2016 Rutgers University Dance Marathon coverage. Click here for a full list of stories.

Nikhilesh De is a School of Engineering junior. He is the news editor for The Daily Targum. Follow him on Twitter @nikhileshde for more.

Nikhilesh De