Rutgers on wrong end of 20-9 blowout against No. 12 Northwestern

onlinekolodny_dimitri

Senior attacker Kim Kolodny became the 20th Scarlet Knight to reach 100 career points with a 6-point effort against No. 12 Northwestern Sunday.

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team’s season took another hard hit in Illinois this weekend, making for another loss in the Big Ten.

The Scarlet Knights (3-11, 0-3) surrendered a 20-9 loss to No. 12 Northwestern (7-6, 2-1) on Sunday, in a game where the Wildcats bombarded Rutgers with goals from start to finish.

Following a similar trend in earlier losses this season, the Knights found themselves down and out early.

Northwestern made its mark on the scoreboard immediately, scoring 2 quick goals less than two minutes into the opening half.

The fate of the game was still in the Knights' hands though, as leading scorer Kristina Dunphey answered moments later to put her team only down by one.

Slowly slipping away from a tie score, Rutgers continued to try and keep up with the Wildcats offense.

After senior attacker Kim Kolodny scored her 24th goal of the season to put her team within 3 goals of their opponent, Northwestern’s offense took off.

Led by senior attacker Kaleigh Craig, the Wildcats went on a 6-goal run to create a large separation from the Knights. Craig scored 4 goals in that span, as she would continue to pester Rutgers the entire game.

Junior attacker Amanda Turturro could only temporarily stop the bleeding for the Knights, scoring her second goal of the game.

From the final moments of the first half to the opening whistle of the second, Northwestern was able to muster up another run of consecutive goals, scoring 7 unanswered this time.

With a running clock and down by 15 goals, the Knights' fate was already sealed, but Rutgers continued to push on.

Countering the Wildcats' 7 consecutive goals, the Knights would go on a 4-goal run of their own in which Kolodny was able to secure her 100th career point.

The two teams would trade the game’s final two goals as Turturro was able to complete her hat trick with less than 30 seconds left in the game.

Rutgers returns home for their next Big Ten conference opponent on Thursday, when they face off against Ohio State.

For updates on the Rutgers women's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Thomas Crincoli