Suspect arrested, warrant issued for 2nd in Rutgers student shooting

Fraynned Ramirez, 26, of Hartford Connecticut is wanted for the fatal shooting of Shani Patel, 21, a Rutgers-Newark student who was killed on April 10. He is presumed to be armed and dangerous. – Photo by Essex County Prosecutor's Office

One suspect has been arrested and charged for the murder of a Rutgers student on April 10. An arrest warrant has been issued for another suspect who remains at large, prosecutors said.

The prosecutor’s office announced charges of murder, felony murder and robbery against Fraynned Ramirez, 26, of Hartford, Connecticut on Monday for the fatal shooting of Shani Patel, a 21-year-old Newark College of Arts and Sciences junior, and an unnamed Rutgers alumnus, Acting Essex County Prosecutor Carolyn Murray said in a press release.

Ramirez remains at large and is presumed to be armed and dangerous, Murray said.

Last week Marcus Feliz, 25, of Newark was charged with murder, felony murder and robbery in relation with the shooting. Feliz is being held at the Essex County Correctional Facility on bail of $750,000, Murray said.

Bail for Ramirez is also set at $750,000.

Neither of the suspects are Rutgers students, Murray said.

The Essex County Sheriff’s CrimeStoppers Program has offered a reward of up to $10,000 for information that leads to Ramirez’s arrest. Those with information are asked to call the Essex County Prosecutor’s Office Homicide/Major Crimes Task Force tips line at (877) 847-7432.

“All defendants are presumed innocent unless and until they enter a guilty plea or are found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law,” she said.

Nikita Biryukov is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in journalism and media studies. He is an associate news editor for The Daily Targum. Follow him on Twitter @nikitabiryukov_ for more.