VOTE YES: Targum makes sure that voices are heard

voices

While it has been more than 10 years since I worked for The Daily Targum, I cherish the opportunities, skills and friendships that it gave me and that I still hold dear.

As a copy editor and later a managing editor at the Targum, I worked as part of an exceptional editorial board and business team to ensure that students and local residents were aware of the issues impacting our community, our nation and our world. Charged with such a great responsibility, the Targum staff sacrificed long hours, sleep, sweat and a lot of tears to fulfill this task. In the process of doing so, we not only learned firsthand about our duties as journalists, but also learned about who we were as individuals and what type of impact we wanted to make on the world. We learned to think critically, challenge ourselves and others, seek different perspectives and somehow balance our personal and professional obligations.

Unlike a number of my colleagues, I did not go into journalism. (But you could probably tell that from my violations of AP style. Sorry, had to throw in a newspaper joke.) However, my experience at the paper prepared me tremendously for the challenges of law school and a legal career. Defending an article that ran or addressing concerns from a student organization on how a thorny issue was presented strengthened my analytical and conflict-resolution skills. These experiences at Targum built the foundation that I used as a lawyer handling litigation matters and now use as an in-house attorney who partners with business stakeholders. I would not have received such amazing development opportunities so early in my career had it not been for Targum.

Targum also gave me the chance to meet incredible and compassionate people. People who have danced with me at my wedding or I have danced at theirs. People who have given me the honor of meeting their first child. Though a great deal of time has passed and life has gotten in the way of connecting with a lot of my Targum brethren, I know that I can always pick up the phone or email them because what we went through as colleagues and friends will bind us for life.

The Daily Targum is more than just a newspaper. I can honestly say that I would not be the person I am today without my time at Targum. My sincerest hope is that the next generation of Targumites will be able to have the same life-changing experience that I and other alumni had.

Our country is at a true crossroads, and the world is watching. The Targum is a first-rate paper whose staff invests a lot of heart and soul to make sure you know what’s going on, and that your voices and stories are heard. Whether you read the paper once a week, twice a month or daily, it’s important to know that the Targum cannot exist without your support.

I implore you to show your support by voting "yes" during the referendum.

Danielle Karczewski is a former managing editor and copy editor for The Daily Targum. She is a Rutgers College Class of 2004 alumna.

Danielle Karczewski