VOTE YES: Rutgers needs Targum to train world’s future editors, journalist

szteinbaum

Reflecting upon my three-and-a-half years on the Banks, my mind floods with memories of a freshman year spent in Katzenbach, getting stuck taking two buses back from Livingston after the REXL stopped running. I remember being the sole defender of Brower’s food amongst my friends, which to this day, I won’t testify against. I remember waking up with excitement to catch the train to New York City for three incredible television news internships. But most of all, I remember my time as associate news editor for the 146th editorial board of The Daily Targum.

I would be remiss if I said the many hours I devoted to the Targum were all fun and games. I shed many a tear over my articles, malfunctioning recording apps and forcing myself out of bed late at night (when I had an essay to submit by 11:59 p.m.) to first-edit a story. The time of "night edit" was also the period that I started drinking coffee. At some point during that year, my friends stopped asking me to hang out because they were sick of the same excuse, "I have Targum," and I don’t blame them. There’s a reason we keep the office stocked with food and water: The Targum is more than just a job — it’s a second home.

Now to give credit where credit is due — The Daily Targum was the single extracurricular activity that demanded more than any class I took. At the Targum, we are trained to say we’d run out of class to cover a breaking news story — a level of devotion I am proud of. I learned more from being forced to produce articles on deadline, knowing that I’d be letting down an office of people, of friends, if I couldn’t come through. I interviewed politicians, religious leaders, professors, fellow students, athletes, celebrities and fashion designers. I traveled to San Francisco to attend the Investigative Reporters and Editors Conference, where I became more inspired than ever to pursue the career I knew I loved.

The Targum was my training ground, my social life, my job and a legacy I am proud to have been a part of. I remember the adrenaline I felt when I wrote my first front-page story. The rush I got from cultivating sources, conducting interviews and synthesizing information solidified my passion for a field from which many have tried to dissuade me. It was the Targum that gave me the confidence to be successful in my internships, which ultimately led to my job at CBS News.

A university the size of Rutgers needs a place where student journalists can train, make mistakes and come out capable and confident. There are Targum alumni around the country making waves as successful journalists, and I can’t wait for future Rutgers students to join in those ranks. Vote "yes" for the referendum, and allow future reporters, producers, anchors, editors, graphic designers and photographers the proper place to hone their craft.

Sabrina Szteinbaum is a former associate news editor for The Daily Targum. She is a School of Arts and Sciences Class of 2016 alumna.

Sabrin Szteinbaum