VOTE YES: Targum brought me to The Washington Post

washington_post

The Daily Targum is where I found my voice. It’s where I fell in love with the craft of journalism and became enamored with the rhythm and energy of a newsroom. It's where I learned to believe that I could be Ida B. Wells, Toni Morrison, Alice Walker and Maya Angelou all rolled into one. The Targum is where I found my people. And, in many ways, it’s where I found myself. I came to Rutgers University for the education, and I stayed because of Targum. I am the journalist, writer and storyteller I am today because of the long days and nights I spent there.

My career as a reporter would have never begun without the love, care and life lessons — not all of them easy — that I learned within the Targum’s walls. To me, the Targum’s office was, and still is, the most magical place on campus. Those nights when I would see stories for the next day's paper flickering on my computer screen were some of the most exhilarating moments of my life. Back then, I didn't know what would come next for me after graduation, but I knew whatever it was, I was going to chase the feeling that I found at Targum. And thanks largely to my preparation there, I’ve been fortunate enough to chase it all the way to the newsroom of The Washington Post.

So whenever you pick up a copy of the Targum, or visit its website or read its stories on Facebook or Twitter, know that you’re looking at something special — something that starts change and conversations and careers. The Targum is part of the heartbeat of this University, it’s part of the glue that holds our community together, and it’s a megaphone for the voices of everyone who lands on the Banks. Vote yes because you believe in news, because you believe in having a say, because you believe in helping your fellow students find their voices — and because you don't ever want to let any of that slip away.

Victoria St. Martin is a former diversity correspondent, assignment editor and managing editor of The Daily Targum. She is currently a general assignment reporter at The Washington Post.

Victoria St. Martin