VOTE YES: Targum gave me confidence, drive to accomplish

drive_to_accomplish

For any number of reasons, there are times when I wonder whether I made the right choice attending Rutgers University. But then I quickly remind myself that if I hadn’t gone to Rutgers, there is no way I’d be where, or who, I am today. The Daily Targum and the opportunities and experiences it provided me with don’t exist anywhere other than Rutgers. Sure, there are hundreds of other student newspapers on college campuses throughout the country, but there are none that even closely resemble the Targum. Operating as an entirely student-run and independent organization, Targum Publishing Company provides Rutgers students with more hands-on and real-world experience than any journalism course or undergraduate internship could ever provide.

When I look back on my four years "on the Banks," it’s not the theoretical papers I wrote or the lectures my professors gave that I remember. Instead it’s the nights I stayed up until the early hours of the morning putting together the next day’s paper, the incredible relationships I formed and the inventive marketing projects we created that ultimately helped turn the Targum into so much more than just a newspaper.

I spent three years working in various roles for the Targum, starting as a staff writer, working my way up to become the managing editor and temporarily the acting editor-in-chief and finally switching gears entirely and spending my senior year as the business manager and co-CEO. And although I don’t currently work for a newspaper, not a day goes by that I don’t draw on the experiences I had while working at the Targum. The lessons learned in that newsroom extend far beyond college and journalism and influence my work each day.

Working 60 hours a week at the Targum while taking classes full time, I became myself. And I know that sounds cheesy, but it’s true. All of the ambition, spirit and leadership skills I possess today were born in that newsroom. The first day I walked into the office at 26 Mine St., I barely said a word. Three years later I had done everything from writing and editing stories to hiring and training employees, developing digital media products and marketing strategies, and ultimately having run a company, all before graduating college. For Targumites, the sky's the limit after college because when you’re given those opportunities at a such a young age, you realize that you have the power to accomplish anything and everything. And all of that was and is possible because every three years Rutgers voted yes.

By voting yes, you are helping to provide the next generation of journalists with the education, training and opportunities that the Targum has provided for its staff for more than 145 years. By voting yes, you are allowing your fellow Scarlet Knights to gain experiences they won’t find in the classroom. By voting yes, you are helping to keep the Targum an independent and unbiased publication. I strongly urge you to help keep this incredible tradition alive and vote yes.

Skylar Allen Frederick is a former managing editor, acting editor-in-chief and business manager of The Daily Targum.

Skylar Allen Frederick