VOTE YES: Targum gave me my eye for design

trattner

To the Editor:

When I first started school, like many freshmen, I didn’t have much of a direction. I spent a few extra semesters trying to find my way and acclimating to collegiate life. After some time, I joined a small campus publication and taught myself page layout and design. It wasn’t long before I felt I needed to learn and grow more, so I signed up to work on the Targum design desk at a student fair. Little did I know it, I found a great learning opportunity and an incredible work experience tucked away upstairs in the corner offices at the College Avenue Student Center.

The student staff at The Daily Targum taught me a great deal about page layout and graphic design, all while maintaining a more structured approach to page design. I learned, grew and developed so much that I earned first place in "Page One Design" from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association. It’s an award I still have hanging on my wall today, and it serves as a proud reminder of my hard work at one of the nation’s few daily collegiate newspapers. My time at the Targum helped me develop an eye for design, taught me a strong work ethic and provided me with great work experience. I ended up indirectly working in journalism, serving as an executive administrative assistant at a labor union for journalists. I still work on design-oriented projects, and I know my experience at Targum helps to shape some of the work I do today.

I urge all students to vote yes during the referendum. It’s important to continue the legacy that Targum has been and continues to be for the Rutgers community. I am so proud to have been a part of this historic publication, and I feel my time at Targum provided me with a tangible presence in the fabric of the community. I think every student deserves the opportunity to enjoy and/or be a part of this great collegiate publication.

Patty Trattner is a former design editor for The Daily Targum. She is a Rutgers College Class of 2002 alumna.

Patty Trattner