ICYMI: Rutgers fires Eddie Jordan, hires Steve Pikiell

Spring 2016 Semester Recap

newbballcoach_pikiell_dimitri_march

March 2016 | University President Robert L. Barchi, left, and Athletic Director Pat Hobbs, right, praised new head men’s basketball coach Steve Pikiell, center, after introducing him to the Rutgers community in March.

Rutgers fired Eddie Jordan after three years as head coach of the men's basketball team and introduced Steve Pikiell as the team's next head coach.

“I have decided that we need new leadership for our men’s basketball program,” Athletic Director Pat Hobbs said in a statement. “Rutgers University is deeply appreciative of Coach Jordan's efforts these past three years. He is and will always remain a valued member of the Rutgers community."

Jordan declined to comment on his future career plans and said his team was ready for immediate success in the upcoming season.

In their first year playing in the Big Ten, the Scarlet Knights ended with 15 straight losses in one of college basketball's toughest conferences. In their second year, they had a 17-game losing streak.

Steve Pikiell, 48, who spent the last 11 seasons at Stony Brook and led the team into the NCAA Tournament for the first time this season, was hired just over one week after Jordan was relieved of his duties.

"This has always been a dream job for me,” Pikiell said. “I drove up and down the New Jersey Turnpike for years recruiting ... I would drive by that sign and I would say, 'That's the job I want.' I'm humbled and very appreciative, and I'm very thankful for this opportunity."

Pikiell will make an annual base salary of $550,000, with a compensation of $850,000 for his first year, which will increase by $100,000 during each year of his contract, which runs from March 21, 2016, to March 31, 2021.

"I have a little saying: In order to achieve, you must believe. I believe in President Barchi. I believe in Pat Hobbs. I believe in myself," Pikiell said. "I have a humbleness, but a confidence, that you will see. I believe in Rutgers. I believe that they gave me a chance. I don't let people down. I believe we will dance."

This article is part of our Spring 2016 Perspectives edition. Find the full issue here.

Noa Halff is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in journalism and media studies. She is an associate news editor for The Daily Targum.

Noa Halff