ICYMI: Rutgers plans various facility upgrades, develops new buildings

Spring 2016 Semester Recap

construction_yard_dimitri_march

March 2016 | The Yard @ College Avenue is one of many new developments being constructed to serve student needs. Other buildings will be upgraded over the next several years to expand or improve school facilities.

The Rutgers Board of Governors has approved some ambitious plans this past year to improve the current state of Rutgers campuses.

The board voted to approve eight renovation proposals, which will improve the conditions of various buildings throughout the campuses. 

The total cost of the plan will be more than $98 million. 

The largest portion of that amount will go toward upgrading the Administrative Services Building located on Busch campus. About $35 million will be committed to adding housing, dining, parking and financial services to the building.

The board also approved, on Dec. 15, 2015, plans to expand the school's spending threshold from $2 million to $5 million for capital projects. This allows for University Facilities and Capital Planning to carry out any projects that would cost less than $5 million without the approval of the board.

Many smaller projects — such as improving buildings throughout campus — will now be easier to complete, rather than being halted if costs exceed $2 million.

Other changes includes upgrading Hickman Hall to include air conditioning.

Jersey Mike’s Subs will also be coming to the College Avenue campus. It will be located within The Yard @ College Avenue, a new on-campus apartment complex located at College Avenue and Hamilton Street.

Headquartered in Manalapan, New Jersey, Jersey Mike’s is a staple of New Jersey deli food having more than 1,000 current locations either open or under construction.

Jersey Mike’s Subs' grand opening will feature a five-day fundraiser for a charity that will be partnered with the restaurant.

The Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital also established plans for major expansion.

The hospital will begin a 100,000-square-foot expansion late this summer. The overall project will take about 18 to 24 months to complete.

Growing demand for the many of the hospitals services led to the approval of the expansion. Although the hospital received approval from the City of New Brunswick’s planning board, it is still in the design stages.

This article is part of our Spring 2016 Perspectives edition. Find the full issue here.

Daniel MacLane is a Rutgers Business School sophomore majoring in finance and political science. He is a contributing writer for The Daily Targum. See more on Twitter @maclane_danny for more.

Daniel MacLane