Rutgers Arts and Sciences senior aims to join United Nations program

image1
Photo by Swathi Gorle |

Swathi Gorle will focus on serving the global community, hoping to join a United Nations program during this process.

Finding a passion to pursue at an early stage in college is extremely beneficial, said School of Arts and Sciences senior Swathi Gorle, because it allows students to focus their attention on making connections in that field and succeeding.

Gorle wants to join a United Nations master's degree program after graduating on Sunday.

“My overall college experience was nothing short of fantastic,” Gorle said.

He favorite memory was passing her sophomore review in the Department of Visual Arts at the Mason Gross School of the Arts.

“I received high praises from two faculty members who are exceptional artists and the recognition made me feel validated in pursuing art,” she said.

Although her college experience was overall positive, Gorle regrets how she was too much of a “homebody” during her years at Rutgers.

But she plans to change that about herself following graduation, she said.

Gorle said she is looking forward to taking a period of time off after graduation to finally have the opportunity to relax and travel.

But she will not relax for long. Gorle plans on applying to a master's program affiliated with UNESCO, Gorle said.

“I’m looking to pursue a career in Cultural Heritage and Preservation and hopefully, work with UNESCO or the U.N. in the future to safeguard heritage sites,” she said.

During the summer, she plans on returning to India to work with government officials in order to nominate a traditional ritual for UNESCO’s Intangible Heritage List for next year, as well as get involved with the program, she said.

Gorle has worries regarding her future but is remaining hopeful.

“My main fear is that I won’t succeed in fulfilling all of the things I want to accomplish,” she said. “But I try not to focus too much on the future because things can always change and I’m only 20 so I have plenty of time to figure things out.”

Noa Halff is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in journalism and media studies. She is an associate news editor for The Daily Targum.

Noa Halff