Rutgers uses 'Pokémon Go' to encourage students to get vaccinated

screen_shot_20160713_at_31333_pm

Pokemon GO, an augmented reality game, is technologically unique compared to previous Pokemon games. 

Pokemon Go, the popular mobile game released by Nintendo last week, has taken the world by storm.

And Rutgers Student Affairs took advantage of the trend by using Pokemon Go to encourage students to get the meningitis B vaccine, which all students are should receive before returning to school in the fall.

In a tweet sent out on Tuesday, Student Affairs reminded undergraduates that meningitis can be deadly within hours or days of getting sick and can lead to severe disabilities, such as loss of limbs. 

After two students were hospitalized during the spring semester, the University began urging all students to receive the three-dose series of the Trumenba vaccine.

"Although there have been only two cases, public health officials are concerned that this may represent an outbreak since the two cases have occurred over a relatively short period of time," said Melodee Lasky, assistant vice chancellor for Health and Wellness, in an email to students in May. "Of course, we cannot predict whether there will be additional cases of MenB associated with Rutgers University—New Brunswick."

The first two doses of the vaccine should be received over the summer and forms should be filled out by the pharmacist as proof. 

Walgreens, CVS, Walmart and Rite-Aid will accept most major insurances for the Sero-group Meningitis B Vaccination, Trumenba. 

Students 18 years and older will need their insurance card and a certified pharmacist will administer the vaccine. Some retail stores may need 24-hours notification to receive stock.

Students can also visit their local clinic or the Student Health Center, where the summer fee is waived for meningitis B vaccine appointments.

Avalon Zoppo is the managing editor of The Daily Targum. She is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in political science. Follow her on Twitter @AvalonZoppo for more stories.

Avalon Zoppo