Two Rutgers students robbed 7 minutes apart, police report

4f198ee814470.image
Photo by Ramon Dompor |

The New Brunswick Police Department is investigating two robberies that occurred on Monday about seven minutes apart around Rutgers campus.

In the first incident, police said a Rutgers student reported that she was approached by a male perpetrator who brandished a sharp object and demanded items of value.

The victim refused to give up any items of value. The man then pushed her to the ground before fleeing in an unknown direction, police say.

The victim sustained minor injuries and refused medical attention. A description of the man is limited at this time.

The robbery occurred on Monday around 10:20 p.m. on Comstock Street between Jones and Commercial Avenue.

In the second incident, police said a Rutgers student reported that he was approached by two males— one wielded a knife while the other removed an item of value from his pocket.

The stolen item was a cell phone, University Spokesman E.J. Miranda said.

The two men then fled down Hamilton Street in a vehicle in the direction of Louis Street, police said. The victim was not physically injured.

The theft occurred on Monday at about 10:27 p.m. in the area of Hamilton and Division Street.

Police described the first perpetrator as a Hispanic male with a light-skinned complexion, 5’5” in height, with a heavy build and short black hair. He was wearing a brown shirt with dark-colored shorts.

The second perpetrator was described as a black male, approximately 6’1”, with a medium build and short black hair. He was wearing a dark colored t-shirt and shorts.

The NBPD is asking anyone with information to contact the New Brunswick Police Department Detective Bureau at 732-745-5217.

Avalon Zoppo is the managing editor of The Daily Targum. She is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in political science. Follow her on Twitter @AvalonZoppo for more stories.

Avalon Zoppo