Firefighters extinguish basement fire in Rutgers dorm


demarestfeature1600x700
Photo by Rutgers University |

A residence hall on the College Avenue campus caught on fire early Monday morning after a failure in a nearby electrical substation ignited flames.


A residence hall on the College Avenue campus caught on fire early Monday morning after a failure in a nearby electrical substation ignited flames. 

The basement of the undergraduate dormitory Demarest Hall filled with smoke and firefighters quickly responded to the incident, Rutgers University Spokesman Greg Trevor told The Home News Tribune. The three-floor residence hall was unoccupied at the time, except for a resident assistant who called 911 just before 12 a.m. after smelling the smoke. 

There were no injuries as a result of the fire, though the building's basement saw minor damage from the smoke, Home News Tribune reported. The rest of the building went unscathed.


Avalon Zoppo is the managing editor of The Daily Targum. She is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in political science. Follow her on Twitter @AvalonZoppo for more stories.


Avalon Zoppo

Comments powered by Disqus

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in The Daily Targum.