Rutgers remembers active member of the community

A Rutgers–New Brunswick student and member of the University’s Muslim community died on Tuesday.

Harris Farooq Zakariya, a School of Arts and Sciences computer science major, was from Edison, N.J, according to a statement sent to students by chancellor Richard L. Edwards.

The cause of his death was not specified in Edwards’ message to the Rutgers community.

Meherin Mazumder, a member of the MSA, said Zakariya was doing yard work on Saturday when he had an accident and fell into a pool. The 22-year-old was taken to John F. Kennedy Medical Center in Edison, N.J., where he died on Tuesday night. 

Zakariya was president of a Muslim group at Middlesex County College before attending Rutgers.

"Everyone who had come across (Zakariya) knew that he was a very kind and gentle person," she said. "He never greeted anyone without a smile."

The Rutgers University Muslim Student Association wrote a statement regarding Zakariya's death on their Facebook page earlier this week.

"Harris Zakaria Farooq, a fellow Rutgers student, passed away earlier today," reads the statement. "We send our condolences to the family and friends of Harris and ask Allah to grant them patience."

The chancellor stated that Counseling ADAP and Psychiatric Services would extend support to those affected by Zakariya’s death. Appointments to the office can be made by calling 848-932-7884.

Camilo Montoya-Galvez