90 Rutgers buildings experiencing power outages

dsc_0262
Photo by Casey Ambrosio |

Nicole Aubourg | The Daily Targum

Students started a bonfire on the Cook/Douglass campuses when the area experienced power outages on Tuesday night. 

Rutgers is dealing with power outages on Cook and Douglass campuses that are affecting 90 buildings, including 39 residence halls housing roughly 3,000 students. This is the third disruption that the campuses have faced in the past two days. 

As a result of the outages, all classes held at Cook and Douglass are canceled until 5:35 p.m. and all student centers, health centers, recreational centers and dining halls on the two campuses are closed until further notice, Antonio M. Calcado said in an email sent to students.

The University plans to provide an update after 4 p.m. in the case that further cancelations are needed. The issue has been ongoing, with the two campuses without power around 9 a.m. on Sept. 13 and 7:30 p.m. that same night.

If permanent power is not restored by the evening, Calcado said arrangements are being been made to provide shelter and transportation for the roughly 3,000 residential students affected by the disruptions.

Affected buildings on Cook and Douglass will be closed from 12 p.m. through 5 p.m. today. Calcado said Non-Essential Employees assigned to these buildings will not report to or remain at work, but Essential Service Employees may be directed to remain at work as scheduled during the outages. 

"The Division of Student Affairs and Residential Life will be communicating directly with the affected students to advise them on next steps," Calcado said. "Further information will be provided on the Rutgers University–New Brunswick and Student Affairs websites as well as on our social media accounts."

Deputy Chief Michael Rein of the Rutgers University Police Department released a statement on Wednesday that said Institutional Planning and Operations was aware of the outage and was working toward resolving it.

“We are working to restore power as soon as possible,” Rein said. “Further information will be forthcoming.”

There was no information on when power might be restored.

Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Salvador Mena said in an email that the Cook and Douglass student centers would remain closed on Wednesday due to the outage. Updates on their operating status will come after power is restored.

There is no confirmation on whether any other buildings on the campuses are closed.

Calls to University Media Relations and Public Safety were not returned.

All other campuses are operating on a normal schedule.

Editor's Note: Student Affairs notified The Daily Targum that they are working to restore power on the campus. 

Avalon Zoppo is the managing editor of The Daily Targum. She is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in political science. Follow her on Twitter @AvalonZoppo for more stories.

Nikhilesh De is the news editor of The Daily Targum. He is a School of Engineering senior. Follow him on Twitter @nikhileshde for more.

Subscribe to our mailing list

Avalon Zoppo

Nikhilesh De