RUSA tickets share visions from roll-over meal swipes to tuition reductions

rusacourtesy

Courtesy of RU Ready? | RU Ready? is running as a ticket for the fall 2016 RUSA election.

The autumn season is not only for the national elections -- the Rutgers University Student Assembly (RUSA) has plenty of positions up for grabs. For full listing of the candidates, visit http://ruassembly.com/. Voting closes on Sept. 27.

“This is a record turnout for fall elections," said Public Relations Chair Vladimir Carrasco. "From our previous records, usually we have 15-20 people: This year, we have 93.” 

The Daily Targum reached out to each ticket for a list of positions and plans.

Fab Five

The Fab Five ticket includes five students and five goals: install air conditioning units in residence halls, establish rollover meal swipes, provide additional weekend buses, create more student-friendly bus routes and design an accessible calendar for every Rutgers event. Every candidate is part of the Law and Political Science Discovery House.

RU Progressive

Twelve students are running under the RU Progressive banner, which is a part of Rutgers for Bernie. While their primary focus is bringing back The Alley, the ticket also hopes to form a coalition with Rutgers One to fight for a 2.5 percent tuition rollback, make Rutgers more environmentally friendly, safer for students by fighting sexual assault through education, promoting mental disability awareness and empowering the RUSA mental health task force.

They also want to increase cooperation between different student organizations, as well as improve communications between students and RUSA.

RU4U

The five RU4U students plan to add rollover meal swipes, add more buses — especially F and EE buses — and push for the buses to change their air conditioning systems. They also want to change the Rutgers policy preventing students from hole-punching their student ID cards. By allowing holes to be punched, students might keep them on lanyards, resulting in fewer students losing their IDs.

RU Ready?

The three RU Ready? students hope to encourage fraternization between students by hosting events for commuter students to meet and have on-campus students to meet their neighbors.

Editor's Note: Representatives from Bring Back The Alley, Demarites for Democracy and Uknighter did not respond to requests for comment. 

Students can vote online between Sept. 26 and Sept. 27.

Bushra Hasan is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in cell biology and neuroscience. She is a staff writer for The Daily Targum. Follow her on Twitter @bushrafhasan for more.

Madhuri Bhupathiraju is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in cell biology and neuroscience. She is a staff writer for The Daily Targum. Follow her on Twitter @madhuri448 for more

Bushra Hasan

Madhuri Bhupathiraju