Rutgers video gaming club helps students relieve stress

unibrianquach

Courtesy of Brian Quach | The Underground Gaming Society offers students a chance to casually play video games with friends. Members usually bring in their own systems and games, which could include computers as well as consoles.

Video games have often helped students relax after a long day, an ideal the Underground Gaming Society at Rutgers hopes to embody.

The goal of the club is for the people to come in, have a good time and make a few friends in the process, said Brian Quach, president of the Underground Gaming Society. 

“I work behind the scenes, make events, organize people, when we have food and any other tiny thing,” the Rutgers Business School senior said. “We don’t do too much, we are very much hands off and we only organize big events.”

This club is more of a leisure club, he said. The social environment is the most important aspect of this club — Quach still keeps in touch with friends he made through the group. Accolades are not as important. 

The club, which has been around for 12 years, welcomes alumni and friends of club members to join them.

“Everything you see or play here is brought in by our regular members,” Quach said. “We try our best to provide some sort of community lounge or hangout, just for people to come in, relax and get away from finals and life in general.”

There are some competitive players in club, but the club aims for a more casual audience, he said.

The club function as a student-run arcade of sorts, said Robert Dudas, a School of Arts and Sciences senior and the club's secretary. 

Having a good time is what he enjoys most about the club. 

“Basically people come in and bring in a bunch of console set ups, or (personal computers) and it’s basically free reign for any one that comes in," he said.

The group's casual atmosphere helped Lori Snyder feel welcome.

“Something I really love about this club is that you can find people who share the same interests as you,” the School of Arts and Sciences senior said. “I really appreciate this club, I was able to make so many friends and they’ve made my college experience a lot more fun and rewarding.”

Synder recommends this club to anybody who’s a gamer, especially ones into fighting games, she said. 

The club does participate in a couple of big events throughout the year, Quach said.

Every semester they have a fighting game tournament, with an attendance of 50 to 100 people from all over the tri-state area. 

Other events that they plan are smaller events exclusive to the club and make the meeting of the week more exciting, Quach said.

The club does face difficulties in maintaining members, Quach said.

“We are trying to deal with our gradual phase out of the club,” Quach said. “We have a bunch of other clubs out there. Every popular game has a club.”

Christopher Bohorquez is a School of Arts and Sciences junior. He is a staff writer for The Daily Targum.

Christopher Bohorquez