Students can lose swipe access if sexual assault prevention program not completed

dormspriyanka
Photo by Priyanka Bansal |

New residents may lose swipe access if they do not complete the "Not Anymore" training by Sept. 8.

Rutgers students living on campus are required to complete the "Not Anymore" sexual assault training program or they risk losing swipe access to their residence hall.

It is mandatory for students living on campus for the first time to complete the program. Students are only required to complete the program one time, even if the student will be living on campus more than once.

Students were informed that they must complete the program by Sept. 9, which was an extension from the original deadline of Sept. 1, University Spokesman E.J. Miranda wrote in an email.

About 300 students of the roughly 7,000 residents required to complete the program did not do so, he said. Residence Life has sent reminder emails to all first-time resident students, and will follow up with the individual students that did not complete the program.

"Not Anymore" provides information and education on topics such as consent, healthy relationships, assault and domestic abuse, Miranda said.

"Rutgers believes it is critical for students to have this information as early as possible to raise awareness of the issues surrounding sexual assault and make sure they know about the resources available to them in the event of such an incident," he said.

Training and education on topics such as sexual assault are required for all institutions by federal law, he said. Schools throughout the United States are using programs such as "Not Anymore."

Enforcing this program is part of Rutger's ongoing campaign against sexual violence, Miranda said.

"Rutgers has been recognized as a national leader in sexual assault awareness, education, prevention and victim assistance," he said.

Alexandra DeMatos is a School of Arts and Sciences junior double-majoring in journalism and media studies and political science. She is the copy editor of The Daily Targum.

Alexandra DeMatos