Suspicious package found in Douglass Parking Deck

f3661bef296b4b1aa0028c4bcf1ae265

The RUPD have reopened the Douglass Parking Deck two hours following an investigation into a suspicious package found in the area. 

Police have reopened the Douglass Parking Deck two hours after closing it off during an investigation of a suspicious package found in the area.

At 8 a.m. the Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) advised students, faculty and staff to avoid the Douglass Parking Deck while police investigate a suspicious package found in the area, according to a text alert sent out to students.

University spokesperson E.J. Miranda said RUPD determined the package was not dangerous and reopened the deck at 10 a.m.

This follows a weekend of increased police activity in the New York and New Jersey area after a string of incidents involving explosive devices.

On Saturday, a pipe bomb exploded along a 5K military marathon in Seaside Park and a pressure cooker bomb placed in a dumpster detonated in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan, injuring a total of 29 people. A second suspicious device was found blocks away from the explosion on West 23rd Street.

Overnight, the FBI, Union County and New Jersey State Police used a robot to detonate a bomb that was found at the Elizabeth Train Station along with five other explosive devices on Sunday night.

Police on Monday afternoon arrested a 28-year-old Elizabeth man Ahmad Khan Rahami following a shootout in Linden for connections to the bombings in Chelsea and Elizabeth. Police were searching his apartment and the fried chicken restaurant below it earlier in the day and were seen leaving the building with boxes. 

Rahami was charged with five counts of attempted murder by the New Jersey Prosecutor's Office.

While speaking in New York City on Monday, President Barack Obama praised law enforcement officers' response to the bombings.

"I especially want to commend all the outstanding police and first responders in both New York City and New Jersey for their extraordinary professionalism and their quick response, which surely prevented even more people from being hurt, and ensured that people got assistance quickly," Obama said.

Obama said he was briefed by the FBI on the explosions Monday afternoon and spoke both to Gov. Chris Christie (R-N.J.) and Andrew Cuomo (D-N.Y.). He said there is no connection between the explosions in New York and New Jersey and a stabbing at a Minnesota mall on Saturday in which nine people were stabbed.

"I want to repeat what we've said before: If you see something suspicious, then you need to say something — contact local law enforcement," he said. 

This is a developing story. Stick with The Daily Targum as details emerge.

Avalon Zoppo