WYNEN: Voting for lesser evil can solve no problems

Opinions Column: Reality Check

Have you ever been between the proverbial rock and a hard place? Where you are faced with two choices that are both equally displeasing, but you feel as if you have no way out? If you have not, the upcoming presidential election will give you your first look at being between a rock and a hard place.

Let’s leave policy out of the discussion for a moment. On one hand, you have a pseudo-successful businessman who went to bankruptcy court four times. He regularly employs divisive rhetoric and lacks a basic understanding of the founding document of the United States government (believing there are 12 articles in the Constitution when there are seven, for example). Most infamously, Trump claimed Megyn Kelly was tough on him in the first Fox News GOP debate because “she had blood coming out of her wherever." And the “family-values” conservatives are voting for this man.

On the other hand, you have the ultimate Washington insider pretending to be the exact opposite of what she is. The corruption between the State Department and the Clinton Foundation seems to reach new lows with each passing day. Perhaps most pathetically, former Secretary Clinton recently claimed she did not know that the “C” marking in government communications meant “classified." And water remains wet. Most insidiously, Secretary Clinton claims that all sexual violence reports must be “heard and believed." The Hillary Clinton of the 1990s, however, would disagree. Take the example of Juanita Broaddrick, a woman who claimed she was violently raped by Bill Clinton in 1978. After staying silent for 21 years for fears that no one would believe her, she finally broke her silence in 1999. Instead of offering her support, Hillary Clinton refused to comment, with her personal lawyer stating that Ms. Broaddrick’s claims were “absolutely false.” There are other women as well: Paula Jones, Kathleen Willey and Gennifer Flowers.

Both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton have manipulated and twisted the system to work in their favor at the expense of others for decades. While Americans have unfortunately been complacent with a relatively high level of political corruption for most of the last century, this election certainly gives all the others a run for their money — literally. It has been estimated that the total sum of money spent in the 2016 election cycle will top $5 billion. All to elect one of arguably the worst two candidates the United States political system has ever produced.

And yet many people still are going to vote for either one of these candidates! The internet is filled with Facebook statuses and tweets that follow the same formula: “Clinton is bad, but Trump is worse," and vice versa. Lesser evil voting has led to this political catastrophe, and it seems lesser evil voting will put the nail in the coffin of any meaningful improvements in this country for the next four to eight years.

Steven Wynen is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in history and political science with a minor in economics. His column, “Reality Check,” runs on alternate Wednesdays.

Steven Wynen