WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | Sept. 23, 2016

laurels_and_darts

DO YOU BLEED RED, BLUE OR GREEN?

Constituents are finding themselves lacking true representatives in government, and it seems like the people in the two-party system don't reflect their immediate needs and desires. So in an era of voter disillusionment, coupled with a New York Times article that says only 9 percent of America chose the two major presidential nominees, Trump and Clinton, it is good that Rutgers is giving a platform to third-party candidates to show citizens a broader range of options. We laurel Jill Stein's recent visit to the University and all the future visits of other third-party candidates.

DON'T HAVE A COW

Two Rutgers Law School professors wrote an essay called "The Case Against Pets," which argues that a morally just world would not include the domestication of animals. While the professors have valid points about pet ownership — especially when owners are reckless or careless — it also misses the fact that many animals could be homeless and vulnerable without humans caring for them. We dart the one-sided perspective that ignores the many symbiotic relationships humans and animals can have.

THE GREATEST LOVE OF ALL IS EDUCATION

"I believe the children are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way," said a wise woman named Whitney Houston. This woman imparted words that a Rutgers organization is transforming into action. Members of the Rutgers Youth Empowerment Club volunteer to tutor New Brunswick's grade school students and providing additional support services. We laurel the organization for teaching children well and letting them lead the way.

LADEN WITH LEAD

Rowan University found lead in their water. So far it's the only university in New Jersey to announce that their water has lead, but that might just be because there is no law or regulatory agency to mandate schools to test their water. New Brunswick is one of several cities with lead in school drinking fountains, so it's not a totally impossible that Rutgers' water is also contaminated. We dart the absence of adequate laws or regulations to ensure water safety.

SAILING THE SAS SHIP

Rutgers unveiled a plan for the School of Arts and Sciences called, "Excellence, Opportunity and Leadership." The plan includes goals it's striving for by 2020, specifically focusing on ways to improve the school's deans, administrators and alumni as well as the relationship of these groups with students. We laurel Rutgers' proactive efforts in trying to improve one of the biggest schools, if not the biggest school, in the University.

THAT PACKAGE WAS NOT A PRESENT

After a weekend of bombs detonating in the New Jersey and New York area, the alert about a mysterious package in the Douglass Parking Deck couldn't have been more stressful. It turned out to be a harmless package, and so to prevent this scenario from happening again, people should be mindful of where they put their boxes and bags. We dart the careless mistake of leaving packages behind in suspicious areas that make it look more harmful than it really is.