October 15, 2018 | ° F

WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | Sept. 9, 2016

laurels_and_darts

BANG FOR NO BUCK

The Center for Global Education and the Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) will be hosting a two-day passport give-away event at the College Avenue Student Center. Each passport costs $150, but they will be giving away 250 passports for free to celebrate Rutgers' 250th anniversary. The generous program amounts to a whopping $37,500! We laurel Rutgers' efforts to encourage global education by reducing financial barriers to travel.

TRUMP BUMP

Rutgers Republicans declined to endorse Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump. Since there was no overwhelming support for a single candidate in the group, the Rutgers Republicans could not decisively choose a candidate that would represent their core values, thereby joining many college Republican organizations throughout the nation in declining to endorse Trump. You know it is an especially divisive moment in U.S. politics when there is not only polarity between parties, but also polarity within the parties. We dart the current state of this election.

GOODBYE, DAVIDSON

It was either flooded, too cold, too hot, lacking hot water or a combination of any of these irritable issues — Davidson Hall was one of the worst living spaces for students. University Facilities said they've tried their best to address the list of complaints about the 55-year-old building, but at the end of the day they were only able to do so much. Despite some sentimental value attached to the building, we laurel the decision to close it down.

GREETINGS FROM EXFOCUS

On the first day of school the air was crisp, birds were singing, swaths of students were flocking to the buses and there was another Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack! A very Rutgers welcome, indeed. The outage occurred near 1:45 p.m. and ended by 2:44 p.m., but many students were struggling to access their Rutgers accounts within that timeframe to find their classes or do some work. We dart this not-so-warm welcome for incoming students.

OLYMPIC EXCELLENCE

Anastasia Bogdanovski was born and raised in New Jersey, and a current student in the Rutgers New Jersey Medical School (NJMS). The accomplished swimmer and aspiring doctor set a national record for her country of Macedonia for the 200-meter freestyle at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Bogdanovski exemplifies a well-rounded excellence that we can emulate in our own ways. We laurel Bogdanovski for her performance in the Olympics and her work in saving lives.

PARKING, PROFITS AND PRIVACY

Rutgers raked in almost $5 million in parking violations, but now it is finding a more efficient way to detect whether your car is parked without a student, staff or faculty permit. The University is looking into adopting license plate readers which would cut the cost of hangtags, following the University of Maryland's model that saved $80,000 per year by cutting 18,000 permits from its system. However, the license plate reader would pose privacy problems for storing this car information. We dart the University's attempt to give out more tickets and adopt a precarious system.