Ditch that pumpkin spice latte, show apple some love

ibfall

It's time to ditch the cold lemonade and to switch over to a nice cup of toasty coffee. Fall is personally my favorite season — it's not too cold, it's not too hot and the food is on point. I am addicted to baked goods and this is the time of year when that stuff is just down right food-gasmic. Apple crumble — that is all. While all these things are dandy, some things are just way over done. You know what I'm talking about — cough, cough, pumpkin spice. I figured hey, might as well give you a guide on what not to do in the fall — let's do this.    

Be obsessed with pumpkin spice

Poor apple spice is always left out in the dust. Everyone is so caught up in the pumpkin spice craze that they forget that apple spice even exists. I ate some homemade apple spice cake this morning — just call me Betty Crocker — and it tasted quite scrumptious, so you're missing out. Stop being basic and convert to the second most basic fall fruit combination. An apple a day keeps the doctor away anyway. You don't want a nasty sore throat do you? No, I didn't think so.

Wearing leggings and Ugg boots

I get that everyone is exhausted and probably up till 2 a.m. reading 100 pages of dread, but this ratchet outfit combination is basic 2.0 and it has got to go. I mean, sure it is comfy, but the look is just completely over worn. There are so many new fall trends to try, so why not try spicing up your wardrobe? Things that are in this fall are turtlenecks, satin-bomber jackets, colored denim and much more that could easily be found in a fashion magazine. If you must wear some comfy pants, try out some adidas pants or jogger sweatpants. Try to leave the jammies at home and try out a new fall trend — I'm sure you will end up feeling fierce all day long. 

Being a bunny or cowboy for Halloween

There is one place these costumes belong — in the trash. I don't know who started the trend of wearing these costumes every year, but it needs to go extinct. I don't know how else to explain these except for them being terrible, so there's that. If you're going to go to a frat party try being a hotdog or something instead. 

Going to Starbucks all the time

Starbucks is the king of all basic coffee drinkers in America. There are so many neat places to get a cup of coffee in New Brunswick, so you might as well take advantage of it before you graduate. Try Hidden Grounds Coffee Shop (a Rutgers student favorite), Caffe Bene or the new coffee shop at the Chabad House. If you must get pumpkin spice at least it will a little different. 

Pretend it's the summer and not wear a jacket

You know the kind of people I'm talking about — the kind of people that walk around in shorts and a t-shirt when it's 40 degrees. I think these people actually think what they're doing is cool, but it's not. Why would you want to risk getting frostbite or something to prance around in some skimpy clothes? I will never understand. 

Well there you have it, my guide on how not to do fall. You don't have to follow these instructions, but don't come crying to me when someone is making fun of you for wearing a cowboy costume. 

Nicolette Accardi