Car injures bicyclist on Livingston campus

19310_crime_blotterf

A bicyclist has been injured after a car struck him on Wednesday evening on Avenue E on Livingston campus. He was transported to a local hospital with non life-threatening injuries, said University spokesperson E.J. Miranda in an email.

The driver of the vehicle was not injured.

School of Arts and Sciences sophomore Allison Stagaard did not notice any damage to the vehicle. She was on a bus entering the traffic circle toward the campus about when the accident took place in the next lane over.

“The car was already stopped, he was already hit, he was just lying on the ground,” Stagaard said. “You couldn't hear him screaming but you could see, he was screaming and holding himself.”

The cyclist laid about eight feet from the automobile, clutching his leg, she said.

“A traffic investigation by the Rutgers University Police Department is ongoing,” Miranda said.

This accident comes only one semester after a similar incident on Douglass campus, in which two students were hit by a car on Nichol Avenue.

University president Robert L. Barchi said at a RUSA meeting earlier this year while pedestrian safety can be a problem of infrastructure, the issue is partially that students cross roads recklessly.

He recommended the student assembly “create an educational program on jaywalking.”

Bushra Hasan is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in cell biology and neuroscience. She is a correspondent for The Daily Targum. Follow her on Twitter @bushrafhasan for more.

Gabriela Amaral is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in political science. She is a staff writer for The Daily Targum. See more on Twitter @sentientfog.

Subscribe to our mailing list

Bushra Hasan

Gabriela Amaral