Community sells 'Save the Alley' shirts after event shutdown

alleydimitri

September 2016 | Sigma Chi and Scarlet Fever are both selling “Save the Alley” shirts after the event was shut down. Both groups will donate proceeds to charity.

Rutgers incorporated "The Alley" as a student tailgating section for the first two home football games in an effort to increase student attendance to home games. 

The Alley was located at the gravel parking lot next to the Busch Recreational Fields, which is across the street from the Sonny Werblin Recreation Center.

It was shut down due to “safety concerns" after the Rutgers football team faced New Mexico, said Rutgers Athletic Director Pat Hobbs.

In response to the closing, the Kappa Sigma fraternity launched their “Free The Alley” shirt campaign to rally students together in hope of reopening The Alley, said School of Arts and Sciences senior Josh Han.

The campaign sold shirts or tank tops with "Free The Alley" written on it, along with a picture of Hobbs, Han said. The fraternity's shirt was featured on The Alley's official Twitter account due to its popularity.

All of the proceeds collected from shirt sales will go toward breast cancer research, Han said.

“Every year all of the brothers in my fraternity raise money for breast cancer research,” he said. “It started after an alumni’s wife passed away from it and it’s definitely the most important thing we do all year.”

Members of the fraternity will be selling the shirts Friday and next week in front of Brower Commons from 12 to 4 p.m. The shirts will be sold for $15 each, he said.

Local merchandise store Scarlet Fever has also launched their version of the “Free The Alley” shirts.

The shirts are only available temporarily for $10 in store, and half of that amount will be donated to Rutgers Dance Marathon, said James Boland, a sales associate with the store. The shirts are not available online.

“It is awesome that that the word is getting out about the Alley. That place was lit," said Sean Aitken, a School of Arts and Sciences junior. "I hope this t-shirt campaign can help get it back.” 

Daniel MacLane is a School of Arts of Sciences junior majoring in political science. He is a contributing writer at The Daily Targum.

Daniel MacLane